Use of warning shots for concealed carry coming? (hope not)

Discuss General Issues

Post Number:#1  Postby TWW » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:15 am

Why don't the police fire warning shots? That's a question that comes up a lot, especially after controversial shooting deaths.

Last fall, the International Association of Chiefs of Police and 10 other law enforcement groups got together to work out a consensus policy on the use of force — a sort of model document for local departments that want to update their rules. When the document came out in January, it contained a surprise: It allowed for warning shots....."There was a lot of discussion," says the IACP's Terry Cunningham, describing the process that led the 11 law enforcement organizations to include warning shots in the new consensus use of force policy. Cunningham was struck by the anecdotes of situations in which warning shots saved a life — or might have, had they been allowed.

The new policy still sets strict conditions for warning shots:

1. The use of deadly force is justified;

2. The warning shot will not pose a substantial risk of injury or death to the officer or others; and

3. The officer reasonably believes that the warning shot will reduce the possibility that deadly force will have to be used.

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/28/520826667/police-warning-shots-may-be-in-for-a-comeback
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: Use of warning shots for concealed carry coming? (hope n

Post Number:#2  Postby Cheap Shot » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:01 am

I always just shoot the weapon out of the bad-guy's hand. :roll:

I'm not sure how anyone would know for certain if there was a warning shot or just a bad miss.
Cheap Shot
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#3  Postby grouchyoldcripple » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:45 pm

This is what happens when you let the media and the anti-gun/anti-cop crowd (and it is the same thing) be treated as if they actually have a valid point. “Why don’t they fire warning shots? Why don’t they shoot to wound? Why did they have to kill (insert name of repeat felon here)?”

Let’s examine the 3 “strict conditions” for warning shots listed in the article.

1. The use of deadly force is justified.

That means that you have a reasonable belief that you or another innocent person is in immediate danger of death or great bodily harm. Sorry. If I am in such immediate danger, I do NOT want to “warn” anyone. I want to STOP them. PERIOD. I am going to make sure that whatever actions they are pursuing that justifies my use of deadly force are going to stop. A warning shot will not do that.

2. The warning shot will not pose a substantial risk of injury or death to the officer or others.

In the split second that I have to make the shoot/no-shoot decision, I’m also supposed to calculate the trajectory of the round I will fire as a “warning shot?” In any urban environment you are going to be putting a lot of people in danger in order to “warn” the bad guy and convince him to stop his criminal acts. I foresee many huge lawsuits from the families of people hit by “warning shots.”

3. The officer reasonably believes that the warning shot will reduce the possibility that deadly force will have to be used.

Again, I’m supposed to determine this in the fraction of a second that I have before either I or someone else is killed? And this is absolute nonsense to begin with. Firing a shot IS deadly force, whether it is a warning shot or is intended to stop the threat.

The IACP is, as the name implies, composed of “Chiefs of Police.” In other words, politicians and bureaucrats who are NOT, by and large, experienced law enforcement officers. There are exceptions (Sheriff Clarke in Milwaukee and Sheriff Schmaling in Racine come to mind immediately) but most “Chiefs of Police” are political appointees, not cops. Their firearms and deadly force policies reflect that.

I will NEVER fire a “warning shot” and I will never “shoot to wound.” If I am justified in firing at all, I will shoot to STOP. You do what you want. See you in court.

Stay safe.
Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage.
grouchyoldcripple
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#4  Postby Tomahawk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:16 am

Bad idea. Either you have to shoot or you don't.
There's isn't enough crime to warrant a person owning/carrying a firearm, but there is so much "gun crime" that we need to enact strict gun control. Which is it? Is there a lot of violent crime or isn't there? If there is, that seems like a good reason to need a gun for protection, if there isn't, they why do we need to ban firearms?
Tomahawk
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#5  Postby joepilot » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:30 pm

Tomahawk wrote:Bad idea. Either you have to shoot or you don't.

Agreed! I can't think of a single situation where a warning shot would do any good. and I can think of lots reasons why a warning shot could propose a danger either to the person firing the shot or to others in the area. Just not a good idea.
Cheers!
Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
joepilot
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#6  Postby Vivikos2 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:20 am

Your posting is very useful.
Random avatar
Vivikos2