Switch to full style
Offered Training Courses
Post a reply

Branca's Law of Self Defense available for WI

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:53 am

Link to Youtube sales pitch

Andrew Branca's Law of Self Defense now has an online course available that covers WI law.

For more information see: http://lawofselfdefense.com/onlineclass/

Re: Branca's Law of Self Defense available for WI

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Seems a bit pricey to me. I went to the website and he has a book on the subject. It's on Amazon for 10 bucks for the Kindle edition. I got it. I'll advise.

Stay safe.

Re: Branca's Law of Self Defense available for WI

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:51 am

The online course now does seems pricey. Branca seems to be charging more for what you get than the live classes but that does not include cost to get to the live classes. I originally took the Florida version of the course two years ago with the promise that when the WI version was available I could get access and two years later it finally became available. I paid $79 for the course when it was in a development stage. That to me was worth it though I had to wait a while to get what I paid for. If it would have been worth it for anyone is something I can't answer.

This is a link to information on when Branca was in Wisconsin last December. http://lawofselfdefense.com/event/law-of-self-defense-seminar-law-crosse-wi-160917/ and the class in Colorado is here: http://lawofselfdefense.com/event/law-of-self-defense-level-1-class-colorado-5617/ and looks about the same for prices.

Joining the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network could well get you more for the money. You get a book and servies of DVD lectures as well as help after an armed encounter. See: https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/learn/membership-benefits

Needless to say Branca must be charging what the traffic will bear. I am looking forward to grouchyoldcripple's review.

Update: If you live out in the sticks even with a DSL connection to the Internet (mine is .288 Mbps) it is possible the course will download so slowly as to be useless. The course I took before must have been done differently. It had Branca speaking with Power Point like screens with text and not a video of Branca talking and I had no problems with it. After about two or more minutes today (at 7AM and noon) the new version had downloaded about 4 seconds of the course. Beware if you do not have fast Internet speeds.

Re: Branca's Law of Self Defense available for WI

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:21 pm

Okay, as promised, my review of The Law of Self-Defense, by Andrew Branca. $18.95 on his website, $10 for the Kindle edition on Amazon. Branca does a good job of distilling lethal force law into easy-to-understand concepts. He takes the required elements of legal self-defense one by one and explains them in detail, with examples, and then summarizes each chapter for more emphasis. He provides what-if scenarios and real-life incidents to illustrate each principle and shows not just what TO do, but what NOT to do. He finishes by giving advice (which I agree with) on what to say to the police if you ever have to use deadly force.

All of this takes up the first 40 percent or so of the book. The remaining 60 percent consists of relevant passages from the laws of all 50 states regarding various aspects of self-defense and the use of deadly force. Reading through some of these will give you an appreciation of how nice it is to live in Wisconsin rather than other states, some of which are actively hostile to self-defense.

All in all, I found it a worthwhile read and definitely worth $10. I’d even spring for the dead tree version if that is more your style. It answers many questions that come up in discussions of lethal force use. There is no discussion of weapons (aside from advice to consider non-lethal options as well as firearms) or tactics. This is strictly about how to stay “legal” if and when you have to defend yourself.

Definitely recommended.

Stay safe.
Post a reply