Andrew Branca Webinar - part 2

Offered Training Courses

Post Number:#1  Postby TWW » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:08 am

Since there are not a lot of views on the items I have posted recently I am not sure how many people will see this or if anyone has any interest in it. If you have any interest there is a $20 off code at the end of the e-mails.

The following are some quotes from some e-mails I exchanged with Andrew Branca before and after signing up for the course using the discount code people who are in the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network can use:

Thanks for asking about the Law of Self Defense Online Training courses.

We will DEFINITELY be covering Wisconsin, as we will be covering all 50 states (maybe even Washington DC, if I can bring myself to do it).

Wisconsin not being on the list merely means that it probably won’t be done until the fall, so I didn’t want people to think it was going to be available within the next few weeks.

Having said that, It’s actually not a bad idea to pre-order. Although every online training is specific to each state covered, that really just means that about 20% of each online training is focused on the self-defense statutes, jury instructions, and court decisions of that particular state. The other 80% of the online training teaches one how to think about the law of self-defense as prosecutors and judges think about it, so you understand how it will be applied—often in surprising ways. Also, how to talk with the police, and what to say or not say, how to build your own customized legally-sound self-defense strategy, and other good stuff.

I often suggest to people that they pre-order their state, then choose any immediately available state to get access to today—that way they can start on that 80% of common material right away. When their preferred state becomes available they’ll automatically be switched over. And while we sell these on a 60-day access basis, those 60 days don’t start counting down until you’ve received access to the state you actually ordered. In the meantime you have unlimited access to the “temporary” state you selected while you wait.

Pre-ordering also locks in the current price, which I can say with some confidence is only going to be higher later in 2015 than it is today.

In any case, we’ve had several requests for Wisconsin, and it will definitely be in the second round of states we cover, likely in the early fall.

If you did want to pre-order, you would just order any of the immediately available states—CO, FL, OH, OK, NC, TN, TX, VA--then in the ORDER NOTES section at checkout type in the state you’re actually interested in—in your case, Wisconsin. (I’d recommend against OH, as it is a bit of outlier in terms of SD law.)

if YOU order an online training, you’ll receive a “friend code” you can share with buddies, as many as you like. The normal way we set that up is that whoever uses the code gets $10 off, PLUS the person whose code it is receives $10 from us.

So, you’d have the option of simply sharing your “friend code,” everybody using it would get $10 off, and you’d make $10 each time.

Alternatively, if you told us to we’d simply make your “friend code” good for $20 off, but then you wouldn’t get the $10 that would otherwise be sent you.

Assuming what you had in mind was a “friend code” in which your friends would get the entire $20 discount (rather than having it split between you), you can share the following friend code for that purpose (it’s the same code, with “_20” added): s8s3h3_20

My comments:
1. Branca talks about 80% of the information common between states and the 20% specific to a state. You can buy Branca's book for about $10 in the Kindle version on Amazon. The book has specific statutes from each state which are not easy to understand (at least for me). My guess is the webinar has pretty much the same information as the book but the hope is when the WI version comes up it cost me $69 over and above the cost of the book to get the the WI legal information presented in plain English. You would have to figure out if that is worth it or not to you.
branca.jpg
branca.jpg (15.21 KiB) Viewed 469 times

2. From watching the first session I can tell you the webinar is not exciting. It does not go BANG like the live fire part of a training course does. What you see is a Power Point with an unseen Branca reading a script. You have to work to watch it unlike a TV show with lots of 'technical events' (changes in what the camera sees) to jar you back from daydreaming. So the question is how motivated are you to learn what happens if you get charged with a crime and want to claim self-defense.

3. Branca claims if you learn what is in the course you will know more about self-defense law than most attorneys (though not enough to defend yourself without an attorney who knows more about other parts of the law). The unnerving part about this is it seems like it makes it hard to get an experienced attorney to defend you if you ever need one. (I found one through the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network which is a reason to join it).

4. I have no way to test the 'buddy code' I got so if you try to use it make sure when you are checking out you see the $20 discount before you fork over any plastic money.

5. If you order be sure to put WISCONSIN in the comments section so they know what state you really want.
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: Andrew Branca Webinar - part 2

Post Number:#2  Postby Tomahawk » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:24 am

I just recently heard of Andrew Branca from a blog I read. I might be interested based on the high praise he got from this other blog.
Random avatar
Tomahawk
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#3  Postby Law of Self Defense » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:26 am

Hey folks,

I have to concede, TWW's review is right on the mark.

I try my best to make the law interesting, but, well, the law is written by lawyers, for lawyers. Frankly, it took me longer to translate my book into English than it did to do all the legal research for 50 states and write the first draft. It was well worth the effort, as our reviews on Amazon.com will tell you.

With the online trainings, which TWW was referring to, however, we really do a deep dive into the specific statutes, jury instructions, and court decisions for self-defense in each state. And the closer you get to the actual legal language, the harder it is to try to translate it to English--after all, we're giving you the actual legal verbiage.

That said, TWW is exactly right--the detailed content offered in the online training IS more legalese and more technical than is the book, precisely because it's more state-specific and detailed. And, granted, I'm not Harrison Ford reading the law. :-)

We'll keep working on making the content more amenable--our goal is to educate every armed citizen in as actionable a way as possible--but we also need to be true to the law we're trying to communicate, and of course we work within our limited resources.

Anyway, that's my two cents. :-)

And many thanks to TWW mentioning our work at all, it's much appreciated. :-)

Stay alert, be prepared, know the law. :-)

--Andrew, @LawSelfDefense
Random avatar
Law of Self Defense

Post Number:#4  Postby Law of Self Defense » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:39 am

I feel remiss that I failed to make clear that I am totally open to all constructive criticism. As a lawyer, I'm in a bit of a lawyer bubble. The more I hear from real folks in the real world about how I can customize our content for YOU, the better job we can do. So, please, just like TWW, don't hold back. We won't take it personally, we'll just use it to make what we offer better aligned with what folks need.

Random avatar
Law of Self Defense

Post Number:#5  Postby Law of Self Defense » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:41 am

Also, I'm not sure where that face came from for my avatar for these posts. I guess it's a default. That's not at all what I look like--I'm much older and fatter. :-)

Random avatar
Law of Self Defense

Post Number:#6  Postby TWW » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:55 am

2. From watching the first session I can tell you the webinar is not exciting. It does not go BANG like the live fire part of a training course does. What you see is a Power Point with an unseen Branca reading a script. You have to work to watch it unlike a TV show with lots of 'technical events' (changes in what the camera sees) to jar you back from daydreaming. So the question is how motivated are you to learn what happens if you get charged with a crime and want to claim self-defense.

When I put the quote in above I did not want someone to pay for the webinar and then be disappointed. The training DVDs you get by joining the Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network are just as dry even though you see people talking. I rate both of these methods of training as excellent for people who want to learn. People who have to be entertained and not willing to work are going to be disappointed.

I have been listening to the Branca course using a Nexus 7 while eating breakfast in the morning and then taking the quizzes and scoring high enough to think I am getting it. The drawback of the small screen is you cannot see the slides as well. A bigger screen would work better. You can also 'rewind' the sessions and watch them as many times as you want before moving on the the next sessions. So far I am getting my moneys worth. (I chose Florida as the initial state because of the Zimmerman mess down there).

I feel remiss that I failed to make clear that I am totally open to all constructive criticism. As a lawyer, I'm in a bit of a lawyer bubble. The more I hear from real folks in the real world about how I can customize our content for YOU, the better job we can do. So, please, just like TWW, don't hold back. We won't take it personally, we'll just use it to make what we offer better aligned with what folks need.

Branca answered my e-mails promptly and this statement is true.
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Return to Training Courses