Armed Badger Defensive Pistol Course (Poll Added)

Offered Training Courses

Where do you want to do this thing?

Chippewa County Range
27%
Ripon Rifle and Pistol Club
27%
Somewhere near Milwaukee
47%

Total votes : 15

Re: Armed Badger Defensive Pistol Course

Post Number:#16  Postby guncheese » Mon May 05, 2014 7:19 pm

as for a location
our county range/training center is available for just such training
classroom and 25 yd range
Chippewa County Firearms Range & Training Facility
guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Advertisement

Advertisement

Post Number:#17  Postby clockworkjon » Mon May 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Count me out, wife just signed kids up for sports every weekend for most of summer. October class?
Yes, well, life is not all shoot-shoot, bang-bang, you know.
-Inspector Jacques Clouseau
clockworkjon
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#18  Postby tuck » Mon May 05, 2014 9:38 pm

Tesla wrote:Apparently I was unclear.

Given that it will be "more advanced" than the standard CCW class, what skills/knowledge are in that course that would be required to attend this one?

Be able to obey the 4 fundamental safety rules and have an open mind. If you can do that, you'll be good to go.

I have a curriculum, but it's flexible and allows me to teach to the level of my students and modify it as necessary.

The Chippewa County Range looks nice and I'd be willing to travel there, but how many other members would be willing to go there?
Co-Owner/Instructor Brown Bear Tactical LLC
tuck
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post Number:#19  Postby sikiguya » Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 pm

On top of an 8 to 9 hour class? Not me...and I drive everywhere
How about a poll on the part of state based on the interest.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
sikiguya
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#20  Postby guncheese » Tue May 06, 2014 6:12 am

well there are alot of us folks over here towards the west
and i dont think it would be to tough to get a bunch of us from over this way
im betting i could even get my LGS to help sponser the event as i think the facility cost is $175 for the day
as he has been wanting to sponser a course just like this
im betting we could really make this thing swing with just a bit of effort
guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#21  Postby 10-32Solutions » Tue May 06, 2014 8:33 am

As an instructor, I note people that don't want to take a course that is 8-10 hours. While I note there are various reasons why, you are shorting yourselves. I have travelled across the country at my expense for the training I've attained. A simple overnight, while it does add a bit to your overall expense, isn't that big of a deal when the course is already trimmed down to the single day AND at the price he's offering it. Lots of people don't have any idea of the expenses in materials and time that these classes require, and if he prices it too low he puts it in the range of sub-par instructors.

The skillsets that are being learned aren't something that can be taught in a crash course. For true learning and competency, it takes time to develop. I have a similar class coming up, and there is no way I could take the curriculum that I know is important and trim it further to only a few hours. To try and do so would be a disservice to the students who are paying.

I understand some people have valid financial reasons why travelling to such a class is out of their reach. I know others won't do it because it taps into funds they'd rather spend on fast food at lunch time instead of bringing lunch to work, or buying that new flashy gizmo. Some of my best lessons learned and memories are from the time spent travelling to courses with like-minded people, the camaraderie and relationships made during meals, and the additional knowledge gained from bending the ears of the instructor or students with various experiences they also can add to topics in life, and frequently over a couple of beers. Those of you complaining about a course being 8-9 hours long a few hours away, you're the ones missing out, and I say that from a student's vantage point.
10-32 Solutions
Eruditio Venit Superessendam- With Training Comes Survival

www.10-32Solutions.com
10-32Solutions
SharpShooter
SharpShooter

Post Number:#22  Postby Arney » Tue May 06, 2014 9:02 am

Great idea and seems like great facilities. A bit too far for a one day training session. I can see a two day sometime during the summer months to come, but this will dedicate a whole weekend plus loging for most of us.
Do not know if a group of us would be willing to particpate to make it worth the time and effort....I would.

Arney
Random avatar
Arney
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#23  Postby Tesla » Tue May 06, 2014 10:34 pm

That's a bit out of my reach (from Kenosha). I've made the drive to Eau Claire a couple of times before for multiple day events (and they started in the evening, allowing time for travel), and it would be hard to justify it for a 1 day thing. I could convince myself if the drive was less (3 hours or so?).
Random avatar
Tesla
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#24  Postby mimalmo » Tue May 06, 2014 11:24 pm

The Bloomer location works for me. Anything over by Milwaukee is too far.

Perhaps we need one event on the Northwestern side and another on the Southeastern side? Having everyone together is a noble idea but may not realistically work.

Thoughts?
mimalmo
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#25  Postby tuck » Wed May 07, 2014 8:44 am

I've added a poll to the thread so members can vote on locations. If you have something else in mind and would like me to add it, shoot me a PM.

guncheese wrote:well there are alot of us folks over here towards the west
and i dont think it would be to tough to get a bunch of us from over this way
im betting i could even get my LGS to help sponser the event as i think the facility cost is $175 for the day
as he has been wanting to sponser a course just like this
im betting we could really make this thing swing with just a bit of effort

Maybe run the idea by the guys at your LGS. That would be way awesome if they were willing to sponsor the event.

10-32Solutions wrote:As an instructor, I note people that don't want to take a course that is 8-10 hours. While I note there are various reasons why, you are shorting yourselves. I have travelled across the country at my expense for the training I've attained. A simple overnight, while it does add a bit to your overall expense, isn't that big of a deal when the course is already trimmed down to the single day AND at the price he's offering it. Lots of people don't have any idea of the expenses in materials and time that these classes require, and if he prices it too low he puts it in the range of sub-par instructors.

The skillsets that are being learned aren't something that can be taught in a crash course. For true learning and competency, it takes time to develop. I have a similar class coming up, and there is no way I could take the curriculum that I know is important and trim it further to only a few hours. To try and do so would be a disservice to the students who are paying.

I understand some people have valid financial reasons why travelling to such a class is out of their reach. I know others won't do it because it taps into funds they'd rather spend on fast food at lunch time instead of bringing lunch to work, or buying that new flashy gizmo. Some of my best lessons learned and memories are from the time spent travelling to courses with like-minded people, the camaraderie and relationships made during meals, and the additional knowledge gained from bending the ears of the instructor or students with various experiences they also can add to topics in life, and frequently over a couple of beers. Those of you complaining about a course being 8-9 hours long a few hours away, you're the ones missing out, and I say that from a student's vantage point.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :bthumb:
Co-Owner/Instructor Brown Bear Tactical LLC
tuck
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Armed Badger Defensive Pistol Course (Poll Added)

Post Number:#26  Postby Dylanthecat » Wed May 07, 2014 9:03 pm

10-32Solutions wrote:As an instructor, I note people that don't want to take a course that is 8-10 hours. While I note there are various reasons why, you are shorting yourselves. I have travelled across the country at my expense for the training I've attained. A simple overnight, while it does add a bit to your overall expense, isn't that big of a deal when the course is already trimmed down to the single day AND at the price he's offering it. Lots of people don't have any idea of the expenses in materials and time that these classes require, and if he prices it too low he puts it in the range of sub-par instructors.

That comes across of kind of insulting the people that have can't take the course. I don't disagree with you, but you don't need to make the jabs. No real point.
-----------
In simple cases, presenting one obvious right way versus one obvious wrong way, it is often wiser to choose the wrong way so as to expedite subsequent revision.
-Fyfe's First Law of Revision - Corollary I
Dylanthecat
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#27  Postby Marc-Wi » Thu May 08, 2014 1:28 am

I don't think he jabbed anyone. He put the truth out there plain and simple.
God save the Republic.
III
Wi Oathkeepers
WIFORCE, life
NRA patron
Random avatar
Marc-Wi
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#28  Postby sikiguya » Thu May 08, 2014 5:56 pm

I do believe this is a great offer. It is a good chance for us to meet and learn. The challenge is finding a date, location, and enough people to make it worthwhile. We need to be systematic. First, do we have enough interested people. Then we need a facility that is closest to the majority of the people. Then it is up to you to decide if you want to make the drive to the event. As in previous discussion, everyone here has a wide range of income, budget, and priority(time). I would ask that we leave out any comments about cost, affordability, or man enough to drive.
sikiguya
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#29  Postby SidecarMike » Fri May 09, 2014 6:46 am

I walk, or maybe better said hobble around on a cane. While this sounds like something I would benefit from, 8 to 9 hours is a deal killer for me. Even split into two days would entail enough pain killers that I wouldn't want a firearm in hand.
I spent 4 hours yesterday (mostly sitting) at a Wisconsin F.O.R.C.E. range seminar and didn't sleep worth a darn last night for the pain.
I'll have to pass.
Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#30  Postby Dylanthecat » Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Marc-Wi wrote:I don't think he jabbed anyone. He put the truth out there plain and simple.
Yeah, the fast food comment and the gizmos were jabs. Not needed to an otherwise very valid post. Also not worth me bringing it up. Sorry.
-----------
In simple cases, presenting one obvious right way versus one obvious wrong way, it is often wiser to choose the wrong way so as to expedite subsequent revision.
-Fyfe's First Law of Revision - Corollary I
Dylanthecat
Jedi
Jedi

PreviousNext

Return to Training Courses