Once again Legal in Minnesota.

Please Tell Us The Date You Applied And The Date You Received Your License.

Post Number:#1  Postby SidecarMike » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:27 pm

Finally got around to taking my application and certificate to Minnesota last month. Received my "Permit to Carry a Pistol".

Actually a painless process. A friend and I drove over, filled out the form and paid $75. The officer even thanked us for being good citizens. :-D

Good for 5 years, but then you need to retake the class and pay the full price again. Hopefully, by then there will be some sort of reciprocity in place.
Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: Once again Legal in Minnesota.

Post Number:#2  Postby EDIII » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:59 pm

Congratulations on your MN PTC.
Sounds like you may have went through Washington Cty; one of the more gun friendly counties in the metro. (Actually Ramsey County is pretty good personal-wise, but they nick you the full amount allowable by state law -$100 )

What permit did you have that no longer works over here?

MN doesn't enter into reciprocity agreements. They simply recognize those states' permits for which the qualifications are at least similar to ours (MN). Recently, after some lobbying, MN recognized NoDak, which then automatically invoked reciprocity from them.
WIS, for not having a shooting qualification, falls short.
Being a MN resident with a MN PTC, I've never looked at the other various states' permits from the perspective of what works here.
EDIII
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#3  Postby SidecarMike » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:06 pm

I have both Wisconsin and Utah permits.
This was a purely political move. Three of the four permits removed were from states that have passed laws in the last year that allow active duty military personnel under 21 to get a permit.

Minnesota could have just as easily said they would only honor permits carried by people over 21. I got the permit because I periodically visit a 90 year old in-law in Red Wing. If not for her, I would have simply stopped spending time in that state.
Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#4  Postby Cheap Shot » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:44 pm

SidecarMike wrote:.... I got the permit because I periodically visit a 90 year old in-law in Red Wing. If not for her, I would have simply stopped spending time in that state.

I chose your option B. There is nothing in MN worth giving up my freedom (or paying their gun-tax).

If anyone is keeping track; from an "outsider's" view, Illinois is now better than :c: MN.
Cheap Shot
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Return to How Long Did It Take To Get Your License