OUR MAP

This Is The Map We Use As A Guide For The Forums Below

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#16  Postby JerTech » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:45 pm

luvthemud wrote:yeah, there must be trolls around here.
either way, i think it is a great way to plot the locations. i like that you can click on the left side and be directed to the thread.

Someone might have actually come across it when doing a Google search for "Piggly Wiggly Plymouth" or something along those lines. There are many ways to find things like this on the intarwebs.

I thought it would be a good idea to provide the links to more information. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know!
User avatar
JerTech
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 am
Location: Milwaukee County

Re: OUR MAP

Advertisement

Advertisement
 

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#17  Postby Scott » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:05 am

I'm sure some our members and many of our guests are anti-gunners.

How should we integrate the Google map?
“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.” Samuel Adams
User avatar
Scott
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 4596
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 2:00 am
Location: Milwaukee Wi

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#18  Postby JerTech » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:15 am

If it gets your seal of approval, we could embed a small version of the map on the home page, which people can click on to see the big, full-featured version. Google provides the HTML code for this, and it can be sized to any height/width.

I can see situations arising where businesses might change their minds and request removal, and prompt responses would be a plus. Therefore, it would probably be a good idea for me to add at least one other moderator to it. I think a logical choice is you, Scott, unless you'd rather not. Otherwise, other Armed Badgers in "good standing" would be fine. Or whatever you guys think is best.

Do you mind that I referenced Armed Badger on the map? I figured it could help point people in our direction as well as shed light on the details behind the map itself. It's really just an experiment at this point, and I didn't expect it to get any viewers.
User avatar
JerTech
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 am
Location: Milwaukee County

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#19  Postby Mr1911 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:46 am

I like the idea, but will other members be able to post directly to the google map? Or does this have to be done by a mod? If this is the case, you don't think this could turn into a lot of work for 1 or even 2 people, especially at the beginning?
M1911 - Proven reliable service for 100 years, and counting...
Image
_____________________________________________________________________________
User avatar
Mr1911
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:00 am
Location: Ozaukee

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#20  Postby JerTech » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:45 am

I, as the owner, can invite others to be "collaborators" on the map. They will be able to add/remove/edit places on the map. The general public cannot. I don't think collaborators need Google accounts, but I'm not certain. I agree that it would be a good idea to have several collaborators. I can also make it so collaborators are able to invite other collaborators, but I'm not sure that would be the best option.

"Owner" and "Collaborator" are the only two permission levels, and I think there can be only one owner. Also, I don't want to assume that everyone is okay with me being the map owner. I just thought I'd give this thing a try because I've used Google Maps before. I'm certainly okay with being the owner - I know my way around Google's services fairly well, but I really just want to do what the other Armed Badgers want.

More details:

http://maps.google.com/support/bin/stat ... wer=144365
User avatar
JerTech
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 am
Location: Milwaukee County

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#21  Postby luvthemud » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:54 am

JerTech wrote:I, as the owner, can invite others to be "collaborators" on the map. They will be able to add/remove/edit places on the map. The general public cannot. I don't think collaborators need Google accounts, but I'm not certain. I agree that it would be a good idea to have several collaborators. I can also make it so collaborators are able to invite other collaborators, but I'm not sure that would be the best option.

"Owner" and "Collaborator" are the only two permission levels, and I think there can be only one owner. Also, I don't want to assume that everyone is okay with me being the map owner. I just thought I'd give this thing a try because I've used Google Maps before. I'm certainly okay with being the owner - I know my way around Google's services fairly well, but I really just want to do what the other Armed Badgers want.

More details:

http://maps.google.com/support/bin/stat ... wer=144365


i would say just have a couple collaborators and be done with it. i am sure that 2 or 3 people will be able to keep up with it just fine.

as for scotts question on how to integrate it, i would just sticky it at the top of the NO GUNS ALLOWED forum. i still like the idea of having the other map and breaking it down into sections, with the ability to post actual threads, but having a visual map is nice.
User avatar
luvthemud
Founding Member
Founding Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:00 am
Location: the holyland

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#22  Postby JerTech » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:09 am

luvthemud wrote:i still like the idea of having the other map and breaking it down into sections, with the ability to post actual threads, but having a visual map is nice.

I agree. It's a good SUPPLEMENT to the system that's already in place. I think Armed Badger should be the original place where members can report posted properties.

Also, I found this in the guide: "To create or edit maps, you must be signed into your Google Account. You do not need to be signed in to view a map. You can also search for maps made by specific users." It looks like collaborators will, in fact, need a Google acount.
User avatar
JerTech
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 am
Location: Milwaukee County

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#23  Postby Mr1911 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:25 am

I do like the whole idea, and I've had a google account for years so if you need help I'll volunteer, of course this is all up to Scott - I'm just offering my services... :-D
M1911 - Proven reliable service for 100 years, and counting...
Image
_____________________________________________________________________________
User avatar
Mr1911
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:00 am
Location: Ozaukee

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#24  Postby Willie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:15 pm

as for keeping it private, check the "unlisted" portion and the odds of it being found will drop.
nothing to see here, move along ;)
User avatar
Willie
Founding Member
Founding Member
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:00 am
Location: Western Dane County

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#25  Postby JerTech » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:35 pm

I think we WANT it to be found, don't we? I wonder what Scott thinks.

Mr1911, I just need you to PM me your e-mail address so I can send you an invite. As long as Scott doesn't mind, we might as well run with it.
User avatar
JerTech
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 am
Location: Milwaukee County

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#26  Postby Scott » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm good with everything here.
“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.” Samuel Adams
User avatar
Scott
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 4596
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 2:00 am
Location: Milwaukee Wi

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#27  Postby BadgerRider » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:13 am

I love it! I think the 1st response sums it up well. This map could be used by even those that don't carry, but whom support the 2nd Amendment.

Thinking ahead, we should have a process whereby a business whom may have posted and sees this, can update us on the new status and request removal from the map (once verified, of course).

I would suggest an email to the admin including name of business, location and zip code. This info can be forwarded to the member overseeing the map.
User avatar
BadgerRider
Founding Member
Founding Member
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:00 am
Location: Waukesha County

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#28  Postby JerTech » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:24 am

BadgerRider wrote:I love it! I think the 1st response sums it up well. This map could be used by even those that don't carry, but whom support the 2nd Amendment.

The responses are actually in ascending order from the time they were posted, so the oldest response was actually that negative one at the bottom. (seems backward, I know) The one you're referring to (at the top, so most recent) was actually made by my wife. :-D

BadgerRider wrote:Thinking ahead, we should have a process whereby a business whom may have posted and sees this, can update us on the new status and request removal from the map (once verified, of course).
I would suggest an email to the admin including name of business, location and zip code. This info can be forwarded to the member overseeing the map.

Yes, I was thinking about that too. I did include "armedbadger.com" in the description, but something a little more direct would be appropriate. Of course, if they want to be removed from the map, they would also want to be removed from the list in our forum, which is the source of information for the map.
Hominem unius libri timeo.
Wisconsin Carry Infringed - An interactive map of Wisconsin's posted locations.
The Second Amendment: Clarity - A treatise on what our right really is.
User avatar
JerTech
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 am
Location: Milwaukee County

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#29  Postby bsczar1 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:37 pm

What do you think of the possibility of having red flags for posted businesses, and green flags for businesses that openly allow for concealed carry? I would interested in supporting businesses that support carry, and this would be one way to get the information out for both sides of the coin in one place. When I say openly, I mean they have a sign that states they allow concealed carry. We don't want to just post green flags for those who don't post against carry, but if a business makes it know they welcome carry, we could then acknowledge them. Just a random thought......
"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, and render regular troops in a great measure unnecessary...and include, according to the past and general usuage of the states, all men capable of bearing arms..." Richard Henry Lee, Federal Farmer Letter #18, Jan 25, 1788

NRA, WCI, III
User avatar
bsczar1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:00 am
Location: South Milwaukee

Re: OUR MAP

Post Number:#30  Postby Mr1911 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:25 pm

bsczar1 wrote:What do you think of the possibility of having red flags for posted businesses, and green flags for businesses that openly allow for concealed carry? I would interested in supporting businesses that support carry, and this would be one way to get the information out for both sides of the coin in one place. When I say openly, I mean they have a sign that states they allow concealed carry. We don't want to just post green flags for those who don't post against carry, but if a business makes it know they welcome carry, we could then acknowledge them. Just a random thought......


That sounds like a lot of flags could wind up on the map. :shock: :wink:
Seriously though that seems logical idea, but the map name will have to be changed then. Lets see what JerTech and others say.
M1911 - Proven reliable service for 100 years, and counting...
Image
_____________________________________________________________________________
User avatar
Mr1911
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 2555
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:00 am
Location: Ozaukee

PreviousNext

Return to Our Map

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron