glad I live in the country

Discuss Open Carry

Post Number:#1  Postby TWW » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:53 am

Open carry is better suited for rural areas where animal attackers are a greater concern than human predators and you can have better awareness of who is around you. Want to open carry a .500 Smith & Wesson Magnum while hiking in bear country? I’m right there with you. You want to carry it while grocery shopping? People are going to look at you like you’re an idiot, and unless there are reports of a grizzly in the produce department, they’re assumption probably isn’t that far off.

source: http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/10/12/anti-open-carry-anti-second-amendment/
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: glad I live in the country

Post Number:#2  Postby grouchyoldcripple » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:50 pm

Okay, okay, I’ll bite……

YES, you have the unalienable right to keep and bear arms, and “bearing” includes open carry. Open carry is legal in Wisconsin, rightly so, and should remain so. If you want to carry a firearm unconcealed, I believe you have the right to do so. I do not EVER question that, so do not accuse me of wanting to take away your rights when you read the following.

I think that in many circumstances, openly carrying a firearm is a poor choice, for reasons of tactics and safety.

When I was a working cop, I wore a uniform and carried my duty sidearm openly on my belt. I received fairly extensive training in weapon retention, since in that line of work it was a certainty that I would be involved in physical confrontations and that gun needed to stay under my control. I wore it in a security holster that allowed ME to have instant access but prevented others from gaining control of it.

Nowadays, as an armed citizen, I am armed ALL THE TIME, but I rarely open carry any more. I have done it at family gatherings where everyone present is someone I trust, so I have no concerns about anyone trying to grab the gun. If I were going to open carry anywhere in public, it would be in that same security holster that I used when working, so that I would be able to retain control over the gun if someone got stupid.

If open carry works for you, in your specific circumstances, more power to you. It is NOT the answer for everyone, in every situation, and if done carelessly it can be more harm than help. I think there is way too much emotion on both sides of this argument.

Let the debate begin……

Stay safe.
Last edited by grouchyoldcripple on Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage.
grouchyoldcripple
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#3  Postby Cheap Shot » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:18 pm

I had no intention of OCing until that expert told me not to. :)

I don't OC because I am too old to wrestle with some idiot(s) for control of my gun.

For other citizens; OCing is a right and a legal choice. It must remain that way.
Cheap Shot
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#4  Postby TWW » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:08 pm

And it is a good thing open carry is in the WI constitution so when someone accidentally shows a gun in public they are not guilty of some crime. This forum is not very active so I was helping it keep going by posting what I did not that I completely agreed with what was in the post I linked to.
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#5  Postby Tomahawk » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:23 pm

I'll just echo what others have said: fully support the right, just won't do it myself.
There's isn't enough crime to warrant a person owning/carrying a firearm, but there is so much "gun crime" that we need to enact strict gun control. Which is it? Is there a lot of violent crime or isn't there? If there is, that seems like a good reason to need a gun for protection, if there isn't, they why do we need to ban firearms?
Tomahawk
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#6  Postby Arney » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:45 pm

besides you loose the element of surprise which maybe a leg up in a bad situation.....
Random avatar
Arney
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#7  Postby SidecarMike » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:58 am

What bothers me is that open carry causes such a stir these days. Up here, I have always seen it. Even back in my school days, eons ago. No one gave it a second thought. Today, it causes near panic and even makes the headlines if someone walks down the street with a pistol on his belt.
Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#8  Postby grouchyoldcripple » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Which brings me to my next point……

What you cite is a perfect example of a major societal problem that we have not yet really started to deal with. In the last couple of decades guns have been successfully transformed from useful tools to the incarnation of evil in the minds of a large percentage of the American population. The media and the education establishment have colluded in this, portraying guns as inherently dangerous and gun owners as either brainless rubes or wanna-be mass murderers. I will have more to say on this presently. We have a LOT of work to do to counteract this trend.

Stay safe.
Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage.
grouchyoldcripple
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#9  Postby SidecarMike » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:46 pm

Saw a bumper sticker the other day... "300 million guns and trillions of bullets. If we were the problem, You'd know it." ;)
Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#10  Postby jonesta » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:44 am

I want that bumper sticker. I agree to NEVER step on the open carry law though in most all cases I carry concealed. Society in this day in age just can't seem to process the difference between a law abiding citizen with a gun and a honest to goodness threat.
Random avatar
jonesta
Plinker
Plinker

Return to Open Carry