Picked Up a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm

Discuss Handguns

Post Number:#1  Postby Edub » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:18 pm

After much deliberation, I decided to pick up a Beretta PX4 Storm full-size in 9mm at Scheels in Appleton. It was on sale and I had some gift cards to burn. The best part was that it actually rang up cheaper than marked and they forgot to charge me the $13 handgun background check fee. I'll post a range report soon but so far, I'm really diggin' it. The takedown is a breeze. I also like how Beretta actually gives you two mags and some other accessories.

Edub
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Advertisement

Advertisement

Post Number:#2  Postby QuackStacker » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:53 am

Wise decision!! I love my Px4 9mm. I can put 17 rounds into a ragged hole at 25'. Not sure if your the type to tinker, but you can make some nice improvements.

18lb Wolf 1911 main spring-$4.00, if you have a type D or G, lightens the D/A pull

I stoned my sear and hammer notch, no metal removal, just a polish, and not breaking the edges. That brought my D/A to around 7lbs, and S/A to about 3.5 to 4lbs.. Perfect for SD, competition, and paper punching.

I also did the Beretta Forums decock+safety (type D) to decock only ( type G) mod..it's easy and can be converted back..The D/A trigger pull is safe enough for carry..

I also drilled out my sights, and inserted fiber optic light pipes..easy and cost 23 bucks for the fibers from Midway USA, and the 1/16" drill I had..if you what more info on the mods, PM me.

I carry every day I'm not working, will shoot this gun for IPSC, and 2-3 gun shoots..it's a beast!!
There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep.
- Lt. Col. (ret.) Dave Grossman, Army Ranger, psychology professor, author of "On Killing" and "On Combat".
QuackStacker
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Picked Up a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm

Post Number:#3  Postby Dylanthecat » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:51 am

Congrats on your new friend, you should really like it. I have a PX4-40 type C and feel it is the perfect bedside firearm. Nothing to do but point and pull the trigger. I will carry it from time to time, but usually in the woods or on the wheeler.
-----------
In simple cases, presenting one obvious right way versus one obvious wrong way, it is often wiser to choose the wrong way so as to expedite subsequent revision.
-Fyfe's First Law of Revision - Corollary I
Dylanthecat
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#4  Postby S&WFAN » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:02 pm

Great gun! I had the opportunity to shoot both the full sized and the compact (both with the rotating barrel), and it was easily my favorite "tupperware" gun to shoot. Recoil impulse is much different - and I think better - than the traditional Browning tilt lock. It's definitely on the purchase list, just a little further down the list compared to some others.

I wish that the PX series had the same kind of aftermarket support that the other plastic guns seem to have - Beretta always seems to be late to the party for some reason.
Random avatar
S&WFAN
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#5  Postby neighty » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:16 pm

Nice pics, Edub, congrats, looks sweet.
neighty
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#6  Postby ksks » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Cool. oooooooouh....I see a CX4 in your future.....

Funny. Anyone remember when Glocks were coming out and people were talking about how you could sneak the plastic guns thru airport security. They're so common place now.
Consideration of limiting the power of the state, in favor of individual liberty, should be at the core of every law.
Random avatar
ksks
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#7  Postby QuackStacker » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:35 pm

I remember that. Right around the release of Die Hard II.
There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep.
- Lt. Col. (ret.) Dave Grossman, Army Ranger, psychology professor, author of "On Killing" and "On Combat".
QuackStacker
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#8  Postby Edub » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:42 pm

ksks wrote:Cool. oooooooouh....I see a CX4 in your future.....

I'll stick to my $125 Hi-Point 995 :gunsmile:
Edub
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#9  Postby Edub » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:43 pm

QuackStacker wrote:Wise decision!! I love my Px4 9mm. I can put 17 rounds into a ragged hole at 25'. Not sure if your the type to tinker, but you can make some nice improvements.

18lb Wolf 1911 main spring-$4.00, if you have a type D or G, lightens the D/A pull

I stoned my sear and hammer notch, no metal removal, just a polish, and not breaking the edges. That brought my D/A to around 7lbs, and S/A to about 3.5 to 4lbs.. Perfect for SD, competition, and paper punching.

I also did the Beretta Forums decock+safety (type D) to decock only ( type G) mod..it's easy and can be converted back..The D/A trigger pull is safe enough for carry..

I also drilled out my sights, and inserted fiber optic light pipes..easy and cost 23 bucks for the fibers from Midway USA, and the 1/16" drill I had..if you what more info on the mods, PM me.

I carry every day I'm not working, will shoot this gun for IPSC, and 2-3 gun shoots..it's a beast!!

Thanks for all the tips! Mine's the F model. DA/SA/Decocker/Safety. I like the safety and decocker so I'll probably leave that part be.
Edub
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#10  Postby QuackStacker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:04 am

Sometimes I'm not as smart as I think I am..mine was an F model..now is G.
QuackStacker
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#11  Postby ksks » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:16 am

QuackStacker wrote:Sometimes I'm not as smart as I think I am..mine was an F model..now is G.

We all Quack up from time to time!
Consideration of limiting the power of the state, in favor of individual liberty, should be at the core of every law.
Random avatar
ksks
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#12  Postby S&WFAN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:54 am

ksks wrote:
QuackStacker wrote:Sometimes I'm not as smart as I think I am..mine was an F model..now is G.

We all Quack up from time to time!

That was painful. From all sides.

I've had bad thoughts about grabbing a full size, putting the lo-pro slide catch and batwings on it to make a pseudo slick side TDA "C" model, and chopping the grip down to the Subcompact size.

Portly, but oooooooooooh so much fun.
Random avatar
S&WFAN
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#13  Postby QuackStacker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:31 pm

I want to see that! You should do it. I give you a victim gun, but my next buy is either a Sig226E or a Beretta 92A1, well after a Sig 290 or Khar CM9, oh and a Benelli M4 or FN SLP, oh and after.....
QuackStacker
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#14  Postby S&WFAN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:17 pm

LOL Oh I'm right there in lockstep with you - Next for sure is some kind of pocket 9, so a Beretta is still on the possibles list! It's either going to be SigP290 Gen2, Nano, or CM9 (unless Glock kicks out a single stack micro...)

Too many wants, not enough dough.
Random avatar
S&WFAN
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#15  Postby QuackStacker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:52 pm

Nano's are getting hard to come by. I stopped in at Fletcher's today, and Terry was telling me they have zero eta on a restock, and that Beretta can't keep up with demand. So, that Sig is lookin real good. Hmm, maybe with the laser!
QuackStacker
Jedi
Jedi

Next

Return to Handguns