Left-handed Mossberg

Discuss Long Guns

Left-handed Mossberg

Post Number:#1  Postby VetPsychWars » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:01 am

Soon this will be mine!

http://www.mossberg.com/product/590-lef ... hot-59816/

Since my right eye is useless, I have to shoot left-handed, and this is just what I need. Accessories ready to put on include a GI silent sling, military swivels, rail, red-dot sight, M9 bayonet. Perhaps a light down the road; I have a couple lights I leave on all night in my apartment, and I see very well in the dark (it's not all that dark to me).

I'm planning on using rubber buckshot because I live in an apartment.

Quite excited!

Tom
VetPsychWars
Sniper
Sniper

Left-handed Mossberg

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: Left-handed Mossberg

Post Number:#2  Postby ksks » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:41 am

haha. It took me a minute... But I see the ejection port is on the "wrong side."
That looks great. I bet that will be a good seller.

One of the things I don't hear folks talk about on the 500 is tightening down the safety. I just have my for home defense and don't really do much else with it. I snug the safety down so it doesn't move. One less thing to think about in a SD situation.

ksks
Consideration of limiting the power of the state, in favor of individual liberty, should be at the core of every law.
Random avatar
ksks
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#3  Postby Cheap Shot » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks guys. This reminded me to get a rail ordered for the receiver of my 500A so I can put a sight on it.

The safety is still really stiff, but I'll look at tightening it more. This is a dedicated HD gun so simpler is good.
Cheap Shot
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#4  Postby VetPsychWars » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:43 pm

It was all I had hoped it would be! Not sure whether the stock is right for me, might be a little too long, but we'll see after the first class.

Tom
VetPsychWars
Sniper
Sniper

Post Number:#5  Postby grouchyoldcripple » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Congratulations on the new gun. Since you are planning on using it for home defense, a couple of thoughts for you……

First, I would avoid using “rubber” buckshot for actual self-defense. The primary problem with “less lethal” weapons and ammunition is that they are of dubious effectiveness. The dangers of over-penetration need to be addressed, but not over-estimated. ANY handgun, rifle, or shotgun round that will effectively stop an attacker will penetrate at least two sheets of wallboard if not more. If you are justified in shooting at all, you need to be overwhelmingly concerned with stopping the attacker. “Rubber” buckshot rounds will not do that with any certainty.

Second, in my opinion, (and opinions are like rectums….. everyone has one, and most of them stink…..), a shotgun is NOT the optimum home defense weapon. It takes two hands to operate effectively. I want one hand free to hold the cell phone that I’m using to dial 911 to report a home invasion in progress. That means my first choice of weapon is a handgun that I can use with just one hand, probably equipped with a weapon-mounted light so I can illuminate my target to be absolutely certain before I shoot.

Having said that, I keep a 12-gauge loaded with buckshot ready under the bed. Along with several other choices……

Stay safe.
Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage.
grouchyoldcripple
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#6  Postby ksks » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:37 pm

:clap:
Consideration of limiting the power of the state, in favor of individual liberty, should be at the core of every law.
Random avatar
ksks
Jedi
Jedi

Return to Long Guns