Switch to full style
Discuss Non Carry Topics
Post a reply

So why do we express shock when they do?

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:36 am

In our national mythology, guns are symbols of liberty and autonomy, self-determination and control. When they harm us and there is no obvious person to blame, we want to believe they only do so “somehow.” Such linguistic tics subtly attribute gun failure and misuse to forces beyond our control, which is more comforting than admitting they are born of the choices we make.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0417-manseau-gun-shooting-accident-somehow-20160417-story.html

Re: So why do we express shock when they do?

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:32 am

LA Times. 'nuff said.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:29 am

It isn't that I don't know how stupid people can be, but I'm still shocked when someone is negligently injured.

Logic (and grammar) was murdered in this paragraph:

"Gun accidents happen because we live in close proximity to machines designed to kill; they eventually will do what they were made to do, though perhaps not at a time our choosing. Whenever this happens, the true culprit is obvious: A culture that refuses to learn the lessons of its past."

I won't accept a "cultural responsibility" for what a non-thinking person does.

Wed May 04, 2016 2:02 pm

Car accidents....ban all cars...no more car deaths...planes too. Trains too. Chainsaws, power tools, kitchen appliances, sports...everyone get into your hamster ball!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:35 am

This accident is really awful. I hope that everything will be fine. By the way, thank you for the topic. Really good forum.
Post a reply