car battery

Discuss Non Carry Topics

car battery

Post Number:#1  Postby 1845 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:23 pm

Years ago we were cautioned not to leave car batteries on concret because they would discharge. Does anyone know WHY this would happen? Those batteries had hard rubber cases. What about the pastic cases today? Off topic and off the wall, I know!
Random avatar
Plinker
Plinker

car battery

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: car battery

Post Number:#2  Postby chyit » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:35 pm

Thirty years ago or so, most battery casings were made of hard rubber. And because of the porosity of that material, battery acid would sometimes seep through the rubber and create a conductive path through the damp concrete, draining the battery. But that can't happen today with plastic-cased batteries. That's because molded polypropylene is not porous at all. So today, you can put your battery on a concrete floor for as long as you want. The cooler the temperature, the slower a battery's rate of discharge, and because concrete is often cooler than its surroundings, leaving a modern battery on a concrete floor might actually make it last longer. Always use a battery maintainer when storing batteries to prevent discharge.
Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Random avatar
chyit
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#3  Postby guncheese » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:05 pm

its really funny
ive known for decades that the old wives (mechanics) tale was just a tale
but i still put them on a hunk of 2x4
go figure
guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#4  Postby SidecarMike » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:32 pm

guncheese wrote:its really funny
ive known for decades that the old wives (mechanics) tale was just a tale
but i still put them on a hunk of 2x4
go figure

When I was a kid, we always kept them off the floor. Dad was a mechanic and he insisted. I never asked why.
I worked as a mechanic for many years before my knees gave out. When I rented my first shop, it was cluttered with junk left behind by the previous tenant. Wherever we picked a battery off the floor, the concrete was chalk white. Even after the place was cleaned up, those white battery shaped stains remained.
I commented once that they must have been there for years, but the landlord said the guy had only been in the building for about 8 months and the place was clean when he moved in.
I still put them on wood.
Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#5  Postby dwarak17 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:02 am

Walmart is good for saving money, but you get what you pay for. I think I'll play it safer for car maintenance items from AdvanceAutoParts, AutoZone or Sears - since they're available in the states we frequent.

I believe the warranties help to tell you how long car batteries should last. I've never had a problem with 5 year warranties or longer, and they seem to last well beyond their expected life. Also, we keep our batteries clean with baking soda water (or, if needed 'paste' in the winter) and we check the fluids whenever there's a starting problem.

I was hoping to find actual reviews on specific batteries. So, I guess I'll shop the way that my Dad (r.i.p.) taught me... I'm comparing battery prices/rebates to 5-7 yr warranties for our van.
Random avatar
dwarak17

Post Number:#6  Postby chyit » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:31 pm

Autozone sells Duralast battries. When I needed one a couple of years ago I did some research and the Duralast was rated number one at that time. Also look at cold cranking amps. The higher the number the better. This is a big plus in the winter. I think the better battery was like 20 or 25 dollars more at that time. It also had a longer warranty and free replacement before the pro rating kicked in. Keep in mind the seven year battery may last seven years or may fail in three months, no matter what brand. Shit happens. Buying from someone that has a lot of locations around the country is a smart move if you’re doing a lot of traveling. Just make sure you bring your sales slip with you.
Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Random avatar
chyit
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#7  Postby sikiguya » Wed May 04, 2016 9:32 am

You get what you paid for...no one ever gripes about the extra $20...when it is -20f outside..and your car starts right away. But you will wish you'd spent it as your starter whine because you didn't.
sikiguya
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#8  Postby Arney » Fri May 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Funny you mentioned car battery life. Just today in charging up a car thats been sitting around, the date marked indicated 10 years old. And that for a fleet farm battery.

Most do last at least 90% of their warrenty period. This one is an exception. I also had one last 14 months......
Random avatar
Arney
Range Master
Range Master

Return to Off Topic