Let pot users have concealed carry permits

Discuss Non Carry Topics

Post Number:#1  Postby TWW » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:54 am

Not my idea but this is what some people in Colorado want.

DENVER — A Colorado gun-rights group recently launched an initiative campaign to allow legal marijuana users to obtain concealed handgun permits.

Edgar Antillon, co-founder of Guns for Everyone in Westminster, known for providing free concealed carry classes, said he had filed a proposed ballot measure that would bring Colorado’s gun laws in line with its legal recreational and medical marijuana laws.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... z3MocXN9wc
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: Let pot users have concealed carry permits

Post Number:#2  Postby SidecarMike » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:58 pm

I think the final sentence will make this interesting to follow.

“Those who are pro-gun are a lot of times against marijuana, and those who are pro-marijuana are against guns,” Mr. Antillon said.

I'll be interested in seeing how many of the "Pot is harmless" folks will feel the same if this is actually on a ballot.
Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby asa98j » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Sure why not?? They give licenses to folks who can't drive past a bar/liquor store w/o getting the shakes....seen 100 times the violence with drunks than I have with potheads...just my $.02. Because THC stays in the body so long someone needs to come up with a test for under the influence not just THC being present. No carrying under the influence..same as booze.Tim
Speak softly and carry a 1911
GOA
NRA
WCI
III
Wisconsin Oathkeepers
Random avatar
asa98j
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#4  Postby ksks » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:21 am

Remember it's still illegal at the federal level. Technically could still be arrested. And, if you are a ffl that could effect that license.
Consideration of limiting the power of the state, in favor of individual liberty, should be at the core of every law.
Random avatar
ksks
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#5  Postby asa98j » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:50 am

Yes still is not legal,but that will change. The war on drugs is working as well as the war on poverty....the war on cancer......any other "war' our military did not fight.
GOA
NRA
WCI
III
Wisconsin Oathkeepers
Random avatar
asa98j
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#6  Postby SidecarMike » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:07 am

asa98j wrote:Yes still is not legal,but that will change. The war on drugs is working as well as the war on poverty....the war on cancer......any other "war' our military did not fight.

Yet, those aren't changing.
Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#7  Postby asa98j » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:13 am

True that Sidecar Mike.......none of those "wars" are working. Way to much money involved.
GOA
NRA
WCI
III
Wisconsin Oathkeepers
Random avatar
asa98j
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#8  Postby bsczar1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:02 am

I agree with asa98. If someone can legally own a firearm, then they can legally own a firearm, period, which includes the right to carry concealed. I am sure there are alcoholics out there who have a CCL; but we don't see an uproar about that. Why? I think partly because the law is clear: that carry is not permitted while under the influence. That would apply to marijuana use the same as alcohol use.

In my opinion, and experience, alcohol is much more debilitating and harmful than marijuana. In fact, even though I do not drink or use drugs anymore (17 years sober-other than 2 days), I still feel marijuana should be legal. Just because someone smokes a little weed does not mean they should have to give up their 2A right and the right to protect themselves. However this is based on the premise that those people are not carrying, or even handling, firearms while they are high (under the influence).

I have seen a lot more devastation in people's lives due to alcohol than I have from marijuana. I have experienced a lot more devastation in my life due to alcohol than I have from marijuana. I do not see marijuana as a drug anymore more than I see alcohol as a drug, and, in my opinion, marijuana would be the better choice of the two.

Realistically, I'd be more afraid of a drunk with a gun than a stoner with a gun. Perhaps that's just me.
"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, and render regular troops in a great measure unnecessary...and include, according to the past and general usuage of the states, all men capable of bearing arms..." Richard Henry Lee, Federal Farmer Letter #18, Jan 25, 1788

NRA, WCI, III
bsczar1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#9  Postby Reality_Czech » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:47 am

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Alcohol is a drug where recreational use is very widely accepted, but marijuana has less societal acceptance.
"Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
Reality_Czech
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Return to Off Topic