Any campers here? I need educating.

Discuss Non Carry Topics

Re: Any campers here? I need educating.

Post Number:#16  Postby SidecarMike » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:46 pm

Thinking about one pot meals.

One of my son's favorite rainy day camping lunches was a box of Mrs. Grass chicken soup with dumplings. You could do this with Ramon noodles as well. The dumplings were just dough from one of those cans of biscuits that you bang on the counter to open. If you have room on the fire, you can put the remaining biscuits in a second pan with a cover. We keep a container of that mix in the camper to this day.
Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Advertisement

Post Number:#17  Postby chyit » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:56 pm

When we tented we had a three burner Colman stove with a fold up stand to put it on. Most sites have a picnic table, and that works to put a stove on. We did hamburgers and hot dogs and such on the tripod over the fire, but a stove is nice for heating water or making other dishes normally made on a stove. We would go for a week at a time so a stove was a must. Making bacon and eggs in the morning on the tripod can get old pretty fast. If you’re only going for one or two days you can probably get by with the tripod and a cast iron skillet. A one burner stove that uses a small propane bottle doesn’t cost that much and I would think you should have at least that. I would suggest you talk to other campers around you to see what works for them, and get some ideas on what you really need or would like. We started slow, probably like you, and picked up on what works and what you need to make it an enjoyable outing. Your first time out will be a learning experience and everyone will survive, and the next time out will be much better because of what you learned the first time out. We tented for years and then went to a pop-up for years and then a truck camper, because we wanted to travel around the country more. The biggest problem we had when tenting was enough room to haul everything. I had to make an enclosed trailer to pull behind the car.
Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Random avatar
chyit
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#18  Postby SidecarMike » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:23 pm

chyit wrote: ... The biggest problem we had when tenting was enough room to haul everything. I had to make an enclosed trailer to pull behind the car.

Here is our camping rig. That's the tent camper in the background.
Attachments
DSC01641.jpg
100_2671.JPG
Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#19  Postby grouchyoldcripple » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:33 pm

I'm afraid I will be of no help whatsoever in this. My idea of camping is a motel room that opens to the outside rather than to an interior hall.

Stay safe.
Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage.
grouchyoldcripple
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#20  Postby guncheese » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:58 pm

a quick batch of possum fritters will fill them youngins right up!!
guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#21  Postby Scott » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:08 am

SidecarMike wrote:a box of Mrs. Grass chicken soup with dumplings. The dumplings were just dough from one of those cans of biscuits that you bang on the counter to open

Waaayyy off topic here but Mrs. Grass with Pillsbury biscuit dumplings was a mainstay of my childhood. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :wheelchair:
“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.” Samuel Adams
Scott
Developer
Developer

Previous

Return to Off Topic