The Andromeda Strain

Discuss Non Carry Topics

The Andromeda Strain

Post Number:#1  Postby Scott » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Ever since the Andromeda Strain movie in 1969, I've always thought the end of mankind would come from a microorganism. The Ebola virus has always left a twinge in the back of my mind because it kills %90 of its victims. I don't obsess over it or unduly worry about it, but I do notice news reports about it.

Since it can't really survive outside the tropical jungle, there's really no reason to worry. So I thought I would share a situation about a week old. There has been an Ebola virus outbreak in western Africa.

medpagetoday.com wrote:"We are facing an epidemic of a magnitude never before seen in terms of the distribution of cases in the country," according to Mariano Lugli, who is coordinating the organization's efforts in Conakry.

Read More: http://www.medpagetoday.com/InfectiousD ... ease/45083
“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.” Samuel Adams
Scott
Developer
Developer

The Andromeda Strain

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: The Andromeda Strain

Post Number:#2  Postby 1911_Kimber » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Scary stuff... Some of the studies I have read show that viruses continuously mutate requiring stronger doses of medicine. I wonder when it's going become a serious problem!
"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns.
Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.
"

-James Earl Jones
1911_Kimber
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#3  Postby Scott » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:01 pm

The spread of Ebola in West Africa continues.

cnn.com wrote:The death toll from an Ebola outbreak in coastal West Africa has risen to 84, with dozens more ill, aid workers reported Thursday.

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/03/health/africa-ebola/
“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.” Samuel Adams
Scott
Developer
Developer

Post Number:#4  Postby Scott » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:54 am

We've taken a turn down surreal lane, :alien:
abcnews.go.com wrote:Officials in Guinea are condemning an attack on a health center where Ebola patients are being isolated from the public.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... r-23188529
Scott
Developer
Developer

Post Number:#5  Postby mimalmo » Wed May 14, 2014 11:34 pm

mimalmo
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#6  Postby Scott » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:51 pm

The outbreak continues.

businessweek.com wrote:The World Health Organization urged West African governments to collaborate more closely to stop the world’s worst outbreak of the Ebola virus from spreading beyond the three countries where cases have been reported.

Read More: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-0 ... a-response
Scott
Developer
Developer

Post Number:#7  Postby Scott » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:41 pm

This same outbreak is growing. It has now affected two Americans working with the Ebola patients.

usatoday.com wrote:Ebola could easily arrive in the USA on board a plane, but wouldn't spread far, experts say.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /13267909/
Scott
Developer
Developer

Post Number:#8  Postby Scott » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:36 am

This is still the same outbreak posted here back in April.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /14344677/
Scott
Developer
Developer

Post Number:#9  Postby IBEWBULL » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:04 pm

Be safe and have a great day, Bull
We need to be prepaired in all ways.
IBEWBULL
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#10  Postby SidecarMike » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:28 am

It bothers me that a nurse in Texas, trained in the proper procedures, has now tested positive. The government claims protocols were not followed but the hospital and the nurse both claim they were.
And now we are sending 1,000 potential victims to Africa. Hopefully, they will all come home healthy.

Seen in Los Angeles during the president's latest fundraiser.

Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Off Topic