Bigger in the belly!

Discuss Concealed Carry

Bigger in the belly!

Post Number:#1  Postby emtshunt » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:05 am

Are there any heavy folks, that are willing to share their successes for concealed carry? I no longer have the physique of a 20 year old, and my "Dun-lap" makes it difficult to carry comfortably. Please, I know, weight loss is gonna show up, but this is not what I'm hoping to get ideas on.

Thanks
emtshunt

Bigger in the belly!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: Bigger in the belly!

Post Number:#2  Postby ksks » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:51 am

Hey brother!!!

I have to pocket carry a PM9 at the office. So, that works out OK.

IWB or OWB is more difficult if you just use a belt. If you have the option of wearing suspenders…that will be your best bet. I often wear them with an untucked shirt, pull-over.

If you want just a belt, it will mean cinching the belt up tight. If you wear the belt below the roll, you can cinch tight. If you wear on the roll, you will be continually adjusting, as I do.

I’ve found the best option is an OWB, on the belt, with suspenders. No one every notices the bulge of the gun. It wont be pulled into the waist. It will be hanging off the side in the most comfortable position.

If you have to do an IWB with the shirt tucked, its just a matter of readjusting and hiking it up on occasion.

Definitely get an actual “gun belt.” Others will not be stiff enough and will leave the gun floppy.
Consideration of limiting the power of the state, in favor of individual liberty, should be at the core of every law.
Random avatar
ksks
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#3  Postby emtshunt » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks pal
I hope this turns out so that the (30 Pack Gang) can find some great suggestions.

Don
emtshunt

Post Number:#4  Postby Cheap Shot » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:51 pm

I've found that if I carry IWB about 4:00. and cinch my belt up, it pulls the pistol and holster into my "love handle" and doesn't print.

I thought about losing weight but hate to give up a tactical advantage.
Cheap Shot
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#5  Postby Marc-Wi » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:03 am

I carry a lot of ballast for these windy days. I carry OWB at 3- 3:30. Never tuck my shirts, no room anyway. Key... get a damn good GUN belt, choose a holster that will tuck the grip in a little. Sometimes i use suspenders, good ones. I forget the name ?berry's? but they hook under the belt, no grippers. Just go about your business, nobody's paying attention anyway.
God save the Republic.
III
Wi Oathkeepers
WIFORCE, life
NRA patron
Random avatar
Marc-Wi
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#6  Postby emtshunt » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:01 am

So far, the key has been a "Good" belt. I didn't think about the belt I've been using. I realize now that it is flimsy and lets my holster sag. I am constantly hiking my pants up.
Just going about my business is getting easier too, as I am still very conscientious about carrying.

Thanks
emtshunt

Post Number:#7  Postby Tomahawk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:07 am

emtshunt wrote:So far, the key has been a "Good" belt. I didn't think about the belt I've been using. I realize now that it is flimsy and lets my holster sag. I am constantly hiking my pants up.
Just going about my business is getting easier too, as I am still very conscientious about carrying.

Thanks

I'll just chime in and agree with the belt comments. A good, stiff, sturdy gun belt will make a world of difference. Leather, nylon, kydex, whatever, as long as the belt won't "squish" when you squeeze it top-to-bottom, and it will preferably support its own weight, i.e. when you hold part of it, it stays horizontal and doesn't sag. Like this:

There's isn't enough crime to warrant a person owning/carrying a firearm, but there is so much "gun crime" that we need to enact strict gun control. Which is it? Is there a lot of violent crime or isn't there? If there is, that seems like a good reason to need a gun for protection, if there isn't, they why do we need to ban firearms?
Tomahawk
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#8  Postby SidecarMike » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:11 pm

It would be nice to find a belt like that. I've purchased two that are advertised as "two layers of premium bridle leather", and "designed for the shooter". Both sagged within a year.
I have taken to wearing suspenders, but even there you need to buy quality. The Perry's, mentioned above, are good quality and comfortable, but they have really poor adjusters. In the course of the day the adjuster slides down so you are constantly pulling them up. The Grizzly sidewinders are good, but the metal clip is hard on the pants fabric and they clip on at 3 and 9 so get in the way of your holster.

I've gone to Noconas leather ones. They have buckles that clip into your belt loops or leather loops to lace your belt through. Great quality and only a few dollars higher than the elastic ones. With these, I can even wear a canvas belt.
Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#9  Postby Marc-Wi » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:18 am

Some belts have a layer of stiff plastic sandwiched between the leather layers. Some of the nylon instructor style belts do too.
God save the Republic.
III
Wi Oathkeepers
WIFORCE, life
NRA patron
Random avatar
Marc-Wi
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#10  Postby guncheese » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:58 pm

be prepared to pay $60-100 for a belt that wont let you down
its all about the belt
i dont conceal
but lately ive been carrying a Vaquero Birdshead in a cross draw
that works great
guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#11  Postby TWW » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:40 am

tactical wire.jpg
tactical wire.jpg (7.52 KiB) Viewed 1119 times

I noticed this on the Tactical Wire e-mail I get once in a while: http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/362100
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#12  Postby Tomahawk » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:38 am

This is one of the ones I have:

http://www.originalsoegear.com/collecti ... e-36-to-44

(The have more sizes and styles, too)
There's isn't enough crime to warrant a person owning/carrying a firearm, but there is so much "gun crime" that we need to enact strict gun control. Which is it? Is there a lot of violent crime or isn't there? If there is, that seems like a good reason to need a gun for protection, if there isn't, they why do we need to ban firearms?
Tomahawk
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#13  Postby ksks » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:22 pm

Consideration of limiting the power of the state, in favor of individual liberty, should be at the core of every law.
Random avatar
ksks
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#14  Postby VetPsychWars » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:43 am

I prefer the Wilderness Tactical "Original Instructor Belt" with 7 lines of stitching. It works with both my IWB Galco V-Hawk and my OWB Wilson Lo-profile.

The Velcro allows you to cinch up tight and adjust as necessary.

Tom
VetPsychWars
Sniper
Sniper

Post Number:#15  Postby emtshunt » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:07 am

Along with a better belt, is there an OWB holster that folks would speak on? I'm looking at the "DeSantis E Gat or their L Gat"
emtshunt

Next

Return to Concealed Carry