MN Reciprocity Changes

Discuss Concealed Carry

MN Reciprocity Changes

Post Number:#1  Postby rottenit » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:18 pm

Wanted to give you guys a heads up to a change in the MN reciprocity agreements. If you have been using a Utah permit to carry in MN that doesn't fly anymore.

Apparently MN dropped them and a few other states over some issues (Some states allow for people 19yrs old (military) to be issued permits & Utah dosent have a live fire component to their class)

So it looks like this is the breakdown on what non resident MN options are, let me know if im off:

Alaska (Does not issue non-resident permits)
Arkansas (Does not issue non-resident permits)
Idaho (Enhanced only)
Illinois (Only issues non-resident permits to residents of HI, NM, SC & VA)
Kansas (Does not issue non-resident permits)
Kentucky
Louisiana (Does not issue non-resident permits)
Michigan (Does not issue non-resident permits)
Nevada
New Jersey

New Mexico (Does not issue non-resident permits)
North Dakota (Enhanced only)
Ohio
Oklahoma (Does not issue non-resident permits)
Rhode Island
South Carolina

South Dakota (Does not issue non-resident permits)
Tennessee

MnDPS1s%20recognition%202015%20change.jpg
MN DPS Statement P1

MnDPS2s%20recognition%202015%20change.jpg
MN DPS Statement P2
I'm going to make some founding fathers quote up so it furthers a cause I believe in...

"Barak Obama is the beginning of the end of our country." - George Washington & Thomas Jefferson
Random avatar
rottenit
Plinker
Plinker

MN Reciprocity Changes

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: MN Reciprocity Changes

Post Number:#2  Postby RightyLefty » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:50 am

You didn't mention the most obvious solution: Minnesota non-resident permit. Can apply to any sheriff's office, but has to be in person. I have a UT permit which is now worthless in MN. Here is something to ponder as well and I can't believe I am saying this; Illinois is now less of hassle for a permit holder than Minnesota! In Illinois, you can keep a loaded firearm in your vehicle on your person or locked up when you leave your vehicle. In Minnesota, you're back to transporting laws in which the firearm is "unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle."
Random avatar
RightyLefty

Post Number:#3  Postby rottenit » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:45 am

Thanks for that (facepalm)! Still have to drive to MN to turn in the paperwork to the Sheriff.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-di ... y-faq.aspx

I was talking to a few people at a use of lethal force class in WA about the IL carry in car, everyone said they didn't want to be the test case if something went wrong. Granted it is law but we are talking about IL. I think if its found out your day will get very bad if the LEO isn't informed.
I'm going to make some founding fathers quote up so it furthers a cause I believe in...

"Barak Obama is the beginning of the end of our country." - George Washington & Thomas Jefferson
Random avatar
rottenit
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#4  Postby SidecarMike » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:10 pm

RightyLefty wrote:You didn't mention the most obvious solution: Minnesota non-resident permit. Can apply to any sheriff's office, but has to be in person. I have a UT permit which is now worthless in MN. Here is something to ponder as well and I can't believe I am saying this; Illinois is now less of hassle for a permit holder than Minnesota! In Illinois, you can keep a loaded firearm in your vehicle on your person or locked up when you leave your vehicle. In Minnesota, you're back to transporting laws in which the firearm is "unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle."

Only trouble with this is finding a friendly sheriff. Back before Wisconsin had one, I tried to get a MN permit.

I had three different officers tell me they would only approve a nonresident permit for someone they are personally acquainted with.
Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#5  Postby TWW » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:38 pm

I got a MN permit from the Pine County Sheriff in May without any problem except it cost $100.
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#6  Postby mimalmo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:01 am

Got my MN permit in Washington County (Stillwater MN), took 21 days and cost $75. Zero hassles.
mimalmo
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#7  Postby RightyLefty » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:45 am

SidecarMike wrote:
RightyLefty wrote:You didn't mention the most obvious solution: Minnesota non-resident permit. Can apply to any sheriff's office, but has to be in person. I have a UT permit which is now worthless in MN. Here is something to ponder as well and I can't believe I am saying this; Illinois is now less of hassle for a permit holder than Minnesota! In Illinois, you can keep a loaded firearm in your vehicle on your person or locked up when you leave your vehicle. In Minnesota, you're back to transporting laws in which the firearm is "unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle."

Only trouble with this is finding a friendly sheriff. Back before Wisconsin had one, I tried to get a MN permit.

I had three different officers tell me they would only approve a nonresident permit for someone they are personally acquainted with.

Minnesota is a shall issue state. You meet the training requirements and are not a prohibited person from possessing a firearm, they have to issue you a permit. Law enforcement has no discretion after all criteria is met. Who you know or don't know isn't one of the criteria either.
Random avatar
RightyLefty

Post Number:#8  Postby rottenit » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:43 am

RightyLefty wrote:
SidecarMike wrote:

Minnesota is a shall issue state. You meet the training requirements and are not a prohibited person from possessing a firearm, they have to issue you a permit. Law enforcement has no discretion after all criteria is met. Who you know or don't know isn't one of the criteria either.

How it should be and how it is are 2 different things. I have no personal proof that they are not issuing permits but it has been rumored in MN. Would be interesting if we could get some data on it.

Random avatar
rottenit
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#9  Postby SidecarMike » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:46 am

RightyLefty wrote:
SidecarMike wrote:
RightyLefty wrote:<SNIP>quote]

I was told that is true only for resident permits. I do plan to try again. I have a sister who lives there and is a close friend of her local sheriff. Unfortunately, she is waaaay up north.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#10  Postby guncheese » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:33 am

i need to take a qualifying class (any free ones ? im poor!)
and i went to school with the Goodhue county Sherrif and he is a good guy
guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#11  Postby SidecarMike » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:01 pm

The Vault in Boyceville is offering the Minnesota class for $50. The instructor is Skip Coryell. http://skipcoryell.com/index.php?option ... 4&Itemid=4 He's a good guy. My first class was with him.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#12  Postby guncheese » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:19 pm

SidecarMike wrote:The Vault in Boyceville is offering the Minnesota class for $50.

well its a good thing we have a Bathtub Time Machine
as Next Conceal Carry Class will be on May 23rd from 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.

so ill have to go back to May and take it

but it does look like im going to buy one of Skip's book off Audible The God Virus
guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#13  Postby SidecarMike » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:07 pm

Got one coming in Sept. Just hasn't named a date yet. Check The Vault on Facebook. They'll list it there first.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#14  Postby guncheese » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:29 pm

yup I did that Mike

but i have a bath tub time machine !!!!!
guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#15  Postby Tomahawk » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:49 am

guncheese wrote:
SidecarMike wrote: Bathtub Time Machine

LOL!
There's isn't enough crime to warrant a person owning/carrying a firearm, but there is so much "gun crime" that we need to enact strict gun control. Which is it? Is there a lot of violent crime or isn't there? If there is, that seems like a good reason to need a gun for protection, if there isn't, they why do we need to ban firearms?
Tomahawk
Range Master
Range Master

Next

Return to Concealed Carry