MN Reciprocity Changes

Discuss Concealed Carry

Re: MN Reciprocity Changes

Post Number:#16  Postby Stormin40 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:17 pm

Thank you for posting, this is the first I have heard.

Guess when it is time to renew my non-resident permit I will have to get a MN one, until then no carrying for me while in MN. Hopefully it is not as difficult to get a MN non-resident permit as some have stated. I seem to recall it as a option when I was getting my UT non-resident permit years ago I completed a shooting portion in my class.
Beretta PX4 Storm in .40, loaded with 180 gr Federal HST
S&W 642, loaded with 135 gr. Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel HP
Stormin40
Range Master
Range Master

Advertisement

Advertisement

Post Number:#17  Postby Marc-Wi » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:27 am

Probably a good idea to check with an instructor as to your needs. If renewals need no shooting why wait?
God save the Republic.
III
Wi Oathkeepers
WIFORCE, life
NRA patron
Random avatar
Marc-Wi
Jedi
Jedi

MN Reciprocity Changes

Post Number:#18  Postby EDIII » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:44 pm

A couple of things:
MN makes no distinction re resident v nonresident permits:
It's a PTC
Secondly:
The law(vs some instructors) makes no distinction re new vs renewals of a PTC with regards to training/ qualifying.

As to MN's standards-
You need to demonstrate safe and proficient handling of a pistol.
And lastly, MN doesn't do reciprocity. It recognizes permits for states with "substantially similar" (new wording in our law) requirements. The new new wording just got NoDak recognized here, which in turn caused NoDak to reciprocate, as per NoDak law.
EDIII
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#19  Postby EDIII » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:04 pm

RightyLefty wrote:You didn't mention the most obvious solution: Minnesota non-resident permit. Can apply to any sheriff's office, but has to be in person. I have a UT permit which is now worthless in MN. Here is something to ponder as well and I can't believe I am saying this; Illinois is now less of hassle for a permit holder than Minnesota! In Illinois, you can keep a loaded firearm in your vehicle on your person or locked up when you leave your vehicle. In Minnesota, you're back to transporting laws in which the firearm is "unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle."

In Minnesota 'transporting a firearm' and the permitted carry of a handgun are two separate circumstances, so your last sentence does not apply to the latter.
EDIII
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#20  Postby Georgia_Glocker » Sat May 07, 2016 5:40 pm

If I have to drive through Minnesota, I will do it on my Wisconsin Carry License, but wont stop in the state. I did the same thing when I had my Georgia Weapons License while driving through Illinois, I would carry in my car, just didn't stop until I hit Michigan. In fact I would carry an extra 10 gallons of gas to fuel up right before hitting the state line...just so I would not have to stop. I guess I might have to do the same going through Minnesota when I want to visit the Dakotas next summer.
Georgia_Glocker
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#21  Postby EDIII » Sun May 08, 2016 6:41 pm

Georgia_Glocker wrote:If I have to drive through Minnesota, I will do it on my Wisconsin Carry License, but wont stop in the state. I did the same thing when I had my Georgia Weapons License while driving through Illinois, I would carry in my car, just didn't stop until I hit Michigan. In fact I would carry an extra 10 gallons of gas to fuel up right before hitting the state line...just so I would not have to stop. I guess I might have to do the same going through Minnesota when I want to visit the Dakotas next summer.

Your WIS permit gets you nothing in MN.
To be legal you'd need to be 'transporting' as opposed to 'carrying'.
EDIII
Plinker
Plinker

Previous

Return to Concealed Carry