New resident here

Discuss Concealed Carry

New resident here

Post Number:#1  Postby blacksheep40 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:42 pm

Just moved here from Washington after getting out of the army. Did 12 years active with 5 tours to the middle east and sw asia. filled out and sent in my application just over a week ago. Got a question about these "no guns" signs.. do they carry the weight of law? In Washington it meant you could carry inside but if someone discovered you were carrying they could ask you to leave, and if you didn't it was criminal trespassing. So what's the rule here? I read the firearm laws and it didn't seem cut and dry. Thanks
Random avatar
blacksheep40
Plinker
Plinker

New resident here

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: New resident here

Post Number:#2  Postby guncheese » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:10 pm

welcome to Wisconsin !
yes your guess is correct
they don't carry force of law
and its the same deal if they ask you to leave and you don't... it gets a bit messier
but really i haven't heard of any issues anywhere in the state regardless of signs or not

im a open carrier
i have one iwb holster and i hate it
so yup that's me! the big fat guy with the big stainless birdshead single action carried crossdraw
guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#3  Postby blacksheep40 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:11 pm

Nice ruger. .357 or .45lc?
Random avatar
blacksheep40
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#4  Postby joepilot » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Welcome to the state and the forum. I appreciate your service! Unfortunately, I can't give you a definite answer to your question. Hopefully someone will have the answer and maybe can site the appropriate statute.

Joe
"Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat"
Cheers!
Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
joepilot
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#5  Postby ksks » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:44 pm

Welcome aboard.

If you PM me with your email I can send you a summary of the related laws.

My understanding is that it does carry the force of law on initial contact. I assume that would be based on how much the property owner or LEO would push the issue.

Where I can not carry. (Federal property see below)
1) Police Station
2) Sheriff Dept.
3) State Patrol
4) Courthouse - County, State or Federal
5) Airport - beyond secured area
6) Prison, jail, HOC, Sand Ridge, WRC, secured portion of MH unit
7) Municipal courtroom when in session
8) Office of Division of Criminal Investigation special agent of DOJ1)
For 1-8, fine max $500, jail max 30 days, or both

10) On grade school/high school grounds and in buildings
For 10, a felony

11) Single-family private residence with land.
a) Cannot enter or remain in a residence or on its land when the occupant tells you not to enter or remain. They do not have to post.

12) Multi family residence.
a) Cannot enter or remain in that residence if the occupant says NO. Does not apply to common area, or common land.
b) Cannot enter or remain in the common area or on the grounds if the owner of facility says NO.
c) Does not apply to the parking area if firearm is in the car.
d) Occupiers of residence can carry in residence and in common areas even if posted.
13) Non-residential building and its land, if owner/occupant has given notice not to enter or remain.
(Includes nursing home, CBRF, AFH, residential care apt, and hospice)
a) Does not apply:
i) To a firearm carried or stored in a vehicle on any part of a building, grounds or land that is used for parking
ii) To buildings, grounds, or land occupied by the State or local govt. (see below)
iii) To privately or publically owned bldg on grounds of a college or university. (see below)
iv) To grounds owned or occupied by a college or university (see below)
14) Land in General
a) In general, one can not enter or remain on any land of another after having been notified by the owner or occupant not to enter or remain on the premises.
i) This paragraph does not apply to a licensee or out-of-state licensee if the owner's or occupant's intent is to prevent the licensee or out-of-state licensee from carrying a firearm on the owner's or occupant's land.
(1) So, an owner/occupant can keep everyone off, but cannot select out someone just because s/he is carrying.
ii) Land - assume it means all real estate not otherwise covered by the law. For Act 35 purposes, it does not include land associated with residential buildings, nonresidential buildings, government buildings, special events, prohibited government facilities.
15) Special event
a) an event that is open to the public, is for a duration of not more than 3 weeks, and either has designated entrances to and from the event that are locked when the event is closed, or requires admission.
i) Does not apply if the handgun is in the vehicle.

16) Any part of a building that is owned, occupied or controlled by the state or any local govt unit if they notified the person not to enter or remain in the bldg.
a) does not apply
i) If bldg. is already prohibited, e.g. courthouse
ii) To a person who leases residential or business premises in the bldg.
iii) If in a vehicle driven or parked in parking facility.
17) University or college, public or private
a) Can not carry in bldgs if posted.
b) Can carry on grounds without restriction.
c) Restrictions do not apply if:
i) Person leases residential or business premises in bldg.
ii) Firearm in vehicle in parking facility

- For 11-17, Class B forfeiture, fine up to $1,000

Federal Property
a) Courthouses and parking lots
b) Buildings and parking lots
c) Any building, or part of a building, owned or leased by Federal govt
d) Federal prisons and parking lots
e) National cemeteries and parking lots
f) VA medical centers and parking lots
g) Military bases
i) Can’t carry but may be able to possess
h) Amtrak
i) Can go in checked luggage
i) Post office and parking lot
j) Indian reservations - varies and is controlled by the tribe
k) National Forest
- these are all criminal offenses, But I think the National Forest changed to be OK...would need to look it up.
Last edited by ksks on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Consideration of limiting the power of the state, in favor of individual liberty, should be at the core of every law.
Random avatar
ksks
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#6  Postby guncheese » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:30 am

blacksheep40 wrote:Nice ruger. .357 or .45lc?

hold on to your hat

its in .45acp
guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#7  Postby blacksheep40 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:32 am

is that factory or did you swap cylinders?
Random avatar
blacksheep40
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#8  Postby guncheese » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:36 am

its factory
guncheese
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#9  Postby rottenit » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:52 pm

ksks wrote:Welcome aboard.

If you PM me with your email I can send you a summary of the related laws.

My understanding is that it does carry the force of law on initial contact. I assume that would be based on how much the property owner or LEO would push the issue.

Where I can not carry. (Federal property see below)
1) Police Station
2) Sheriff Dept.
3) State Patrol
4) Courthouse - County, State or Federal
5) Airport - beyond secured area
6) Prison, jail, HOC, Sand Ridge, WRC, secured portion of MH unit
7) Municipal courtroom when in session
8) Office of Division of Criminal Investigation special agent of DOJ1)
For 1-8, fine max $500, jail max 30 days, or both

10) On grade school/high school grounds and in buildings
For 10, a felony

11) Single-family private residence with land.
a) Cannot enter or remain in a residence or on its land when the occupant tells you not to enter or remain. They do not have to post.

12) Multi family residence.
a) Cannot enter or remain in that residence if the occupant says NO. Does not apply to common area, or common land.
b) Cannot enter or remain in the common area or on the grounds if the owner of facility says NO.
c) Does not apply to the parking area if firearm is in the car.
d) Occupiers of residence can carry in residence and in common areas even if posted.
13) Non-residential building and its land, if owner/occupant has given notice not to enter or remain.
(Includes nursing home, CBRF, AFH, residential care apt, and hospice)
a) Does not apply:
i) To a firearm carried or stored in a vehicle on any part of a building, grounds or land that is used for parking
ii) To buildings, grounds, or land occupied by the State or local govt. (see below)
iii) To privately or publically owned bldg on grounds of a college or university. (see below)
iv) To grounds owned or occupied by a college or university (see below)
14) Land in General
a) In general, one can not enter or remain on any land of another after having been notified by the owner or occupant not to enter or remain on the premises.
i) This paragraph does not apply to a licensee or out-of-state licensee if the owner's or occupant's intent is to prevent the licensee or out-of-state licensee from carrying a firearm on the owner's or occupant's land.
(1) So, an owner/occupant can keep everyone off, but cannot select out someone just because s/he is carrying.
ii) Land - assume it means all real estate not otherwise covered by the law. For Act 35 purposes, it does not include land associated with residential buildings, nonresidential buildings, government buildings, special events, prohibited government facilities.
15) Special event
a) an event that is open to the public, is for a duration of not more than 3 weeks, and either has designated entrances to and from the event that are locked when the event is closed, or requires admission.
i) Does not apply if the handgun is in the vehicle.

16) Any part of a building that is owned, occupied or controlled by the state or any local govt unit if they notified the person not to enter or remain in the bldg.
a) does not apply
i) If bldg. is already prohibited, e.g. courthouse
ii) To a person who leases residential or business premises in the bldg.
iii) If in a vehicle driven or parked in parking facility.
17) University or college, public or private
a) Can not carry in bldgs if posted.
b) Can carry on grounds without restriction.
c) Restrictions do not apply if:
i) Person leases residential or business premises in bldg.
ii) Firearm in vehicle in parking facility

- For 11-17, Class B forfeiture, fine up to $1,000

Federal Property
a) Courthouses and parking lots
b) Buildings and parking lots
c) Any building, or part of a building, owned or leased by Federal govt
d) Federal prisons and parking lots
e) National cemeteries and parking lots
f) VA medical centers and parking lots
g) Military bases
i) Can’t carry but may be able to possess
h) Amtrak
i) Can go in checked luggage
i) Post office and parking lot
j) Indian reservations - varies and is controlled by the tribe
k) National Forest
- these are all criminal offenses, But I think the National Forest changed to be OK...would need to look it up.

As usual it looks to be clear as mud:

The trespass law uses the term "enterers or remains" which would indicate to me if its posted and you entered you violated the statute and are subject to a class b forfeiture (I think, IANL) which I have no clue what that means.

This is from: 943.13  Trespass to land

While carrying a firearm, enters or remains at a residence that the actor does not own or occupy after the owner of the residence, if he or she has not leased it to another person, or the occupant of the residence has notified the actor not to enter or remain at the residence while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm. In this subdivision, "residence," with respect to a single-family residence, includes the residence building and the parcel of land upon which the residence building is located, and "residence," with respect to a residence that is not a single-family residence, does not include any common area of the building in which the residence is located or any common areas of the rest of the parcel of land upon which the residence building is located.

1m. While carrying a firearm, enters or remains in a common area in a building, or on the grounds of a building, that is a residence that is not a single-family residence if the actor does not own the residence or does not occupy any part of the residence, if the owner of the residence has notified the actor not to enter or remain in the common area or on the grounds while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm. This subdivision does not apply to a part of the grounds of the building if that part is used for parking and the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked in that part.

2. While carrying a firearm, enters or remains in any part of a nonresidential building, grounds of a nonresidential building, or land that the actor does not own or occupy after the owner of the building, grounds, or land, if that part of the building, grounds, or land has not been leased to another person, or the occupant of that part of the building, grounds, or land has notified the actor not to enter or remain in that part of the building, grounds, or land while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm. This subdivision does not apply to a part of a building, grounds, or land occupied by the state or by a local governmental unit, to a privately or publicly owned building on the grounds of a university or college, or to the grounds of or land owned or occupied by a university or college, or, if the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked in the parking facility, to any part of a building, grounds, or land used as a parking facility.

3. While carrying a firearm, enters or remains at a special event if the organizers of the special event have notified the actor not to enter or remain at the special event while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm. This subdivision does not apply, if the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked in the parking facility, to any part of the special event grounds or building used as a parking facility.

4. While carrying a firearm, enters or remains in any part of a building that is owned, occupied, or controlled by the state or any local governmental unit, excluding any building or portion of a building under s. 175.60 (16) (a), if the state or local governmental unit has notified the actor not to enter or remain in the building while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm. This subdivision does not apply to a person who leases residential or business premises in the building or, if the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked in the parking facility, to any part of the building used as a parking facility.

5. While carrying a firearm, enters or remains in any privately or publicly owned building on the grounds of a university or college, if the university or college has notified the actor not to enter or remain in the building while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm. This subdivision does not apply to a person who leases residential or business premises in the building or, if the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked in the parking facility, to any part of the building used as a parking facility.
I'm going to make some founding fathers quote up so it furthers a cause I believe in...

"Barak Obama is the beginning of the end of our country." - George Washington & Thomas Jefferson
Random avatar
rottenit
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#10  Postby Marc-Wi » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:51 am

If it's posted don't go there. How hard is that? Seems like you're over thinking. If you conceal properly, who's to know?
God save the Republic.
III
Wi Oathkeepers
WIFORCE, life
NRA patron
Random avatar
Marc-Wi
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#11  Postby blacksheep40 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:47 am

I'm gonna carry wherever i need to go. Simple as that. Not taking off my pistol unless it's state or federal property.
Random avatar
blacksheep40
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#12  Postby Stragent » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:25 am

blacksheep40 take where ever you want :gunsmile: Just try to avoid saying this "Gimme your wallet :2gun: "
Random avatar
Stragent

Post Number:#13  Postby joepilot » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:42 am

Welcome to Wisconsin and the forum! I appreciate your service.
Cheers!
Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
joepilot
Plinker
Plinker

Return to Concealed Carry