Concealed Carry Class

Discuss Concealed Carry

Concealed Carry Class

Post Number:#1  Postby GSMetal » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:50 pm

I finished my CC class the other day. I opted for a place that did a 8 hour class instead of the mandatory 4 hour class.

I have to admit I was surprised of what the class didn't cover - topics such as legal issues, where you may or may not be justified in shooting, etc.

So my question is this: What didn't your class cover that you wish they did cover?
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
- W. C. Fields
Random avatar
GSMetal
Plinker
Plinker

Concealed Carry Class

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: Concealed Carry Class

Post Number:#2  Postby SidecarMike » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:36 pm

Wow. If anything, I felt that my classes spent too much time on legal issues. Many of the participants were not gun owners and wanted to know how to choose a weapon or ammunition, or even a proper holster. I've taken three different classes now. One to get my Wisconsin permit,a second for Utah, and third as "moral support" for some nonshooting friends wanting to take a class.

My complaint is that only one of those classes, offered by our own bforney, touched on alternatives to firearms. He had and demonstrated batons, Mace, pepper spray, saps, and an assortment of other means of protecting oneself. I think that would be valuable for those who are not able to carry a firearm for one reason or another.

Another problem I had was that the last class had so many people there that it was often impossible to hear the instructor. I agree with the need to limit class sizes. That particular one had probably 50 students, an instructor, and two helpers.
Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby GSMetal » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:51 pm

I'm wondering about the curriculum.

Is there a standard curriculum set up by a certain department of the state or the NRA or what..or who?

I would agree with you that the class size should be limited - I would say 20 is reasonable.

I would also include some type of range time class so newbies specifically for newbies.
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
- W. C. Fields
Random avatar
GSMetal
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#4  Postby SidecarMike » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:57 pm

Bad men excuse their faults. Good men abandon them.
Mike
SidecarMike
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#5  Postby Marc-Wi » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:53 am

If you want to really learn about the legal issues I suggest you attent one of Massed Ayoob's MAG20 classroom sessions.He is scheduled to be in Saukville this April. 18,19APR15. Go here for all info....http://massadayoobgroup.com/
It may be the best money you ever spend.
God save the Republic.
III
Wi Oathkeepers
WIFORCE, life
NRA patron
Random avatar
Marc-Wi
Jedi
Jedi

Post Number:#6  Postby Stragent » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:28 am

GSMetal wrote:I finished my CC class the other day. I opted for a place that did a 8 hour class instead of the mandatory 4 hour class.

I have to admit I was surprised of what the class didn't cover - topics such as legal issues, where you may or may not be justified in shooting, etc.

So my question is this: What didn't your class cover that you wish they did cover?

GSMetal where did you took your cc mandatory classes ?
Random avatar
Stragent

Return to Concealed Carry