Ammo... what to use in your personal defense gun

Discuss Concealed Carry

Re: Ammo... what to use in your personal defense gun

Post Number:#106  Postby Reality_Czech » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 pm

I carry Remington 180 gr Golden Saber in my .40 cal. I've been pretty happy with the round.
"Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
Reality_Czech
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Advertisement

Advertisement

Post Number:#107  Postby chyit » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Critical Defense in my 9mm and .40
Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Random avatar
chyit
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Post Number:#108  Postby wisckennseth » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:59 am

Winchester Ranger T series 230gr in my 45. very hard to find. :-D
Random avatar
wisckennseth

Post Number:#109  Postby Arney » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:53 am

Winchester Ranger- 40 S&W hollow point.
Random avatar
Arney
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#110  Postby Warrior » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:23 am

Winchester RA45TP
Warrior
Sniper
Sniper

Post Number:#111  Postby IBEWBULL » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:34 am

What ever we shoot I hope that we know how it will work.
Penetration, expansion etc.
The FBI test is a good one to look up. I think it was on this post before.
How many layers of dry wall will be passed through?
Where will you most likely and for what will the round be used?
Are you in country or in town?
All of these things come into play.
I am out in the sticks and have different needs than whan I am on the road in a motel.
The .357 in the motel would be loaded with .38 special in my case. BUt whie driving I prefer 2 .38s and five .357 HP.
If i were camping then a 1st round of bird shot for critters. Which I would avoid, but it happens. Skunk in the eating area is a bad thing. I never did cap one but waited for it to depart. It was missing one eye and not in good shape. The dog was not happy either.
Youtube and the net have a lot of ammo test and I hope it is used.
The new critical duty looks promising in all calibers as dose Buffalo Bore. Unfortunatly I can't afford to spend a buck a round on new ammo whan I have old stock in the lock up.
So in closing this time i would like to remiond us all to know your gun , ammo and our own limitations.
That also goes for the L.E. officers out there. Word spreads like wild fire when a deer/car call ends up with rounds fired and missed or worse yet jaws getting blown off of a wounded deer. Social work is for the desk jockies and LE for the street cop. Practice on what you need to know. Most do this and enjoy shooting in our area. As for the city boys, I don't know.
Be safe and have a great day, Bull
We need to be prepaired in all ways.
IBEWBULL
Range Master
Range Master

Post Number:#112  Postby BobbyGlock » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:13 pm

I have Hornady Critical Defense (115gr) in my gun now. I'm still waiting for my license so I am hoping to run some boxes through my gun before I start carrying. What's the recommended round count to run through a gun before carrying it?
Random avatar
BobbyGlock
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#113  Postby bsczar1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:33 pm

For me, it's after I have run it through break-in and have confidence it in, which depends on the gun. You can expect some failures to feed, failures to eject, and etc. during break-in. I'd say probably 100-200 rounds for a typical break-in period. Kahr Arms in general are machined with very tight tolerances, so Kahr actually says to run 200 rounds for typical break-in, and 500 before you even think about calling them. YMMV. After break-in you should have enough rounds through it to be satisfied you will not have any issues-it's a personal thing-then carry it. I have never, ever had a problem with my Sig Sauer P239-not one. My Kahr suffered FTF/FTE during break-in during the first 200 rounds, in fact I recorded it here on the site, but it has ran fine ever since. I alternate between carrying those two, but I would not hesitate to carry any of the handguns I own-though I do have one used gun I bought that I have only put 10 rounds through so far. It's a Springfield, so I'd carry it tonight if I felt the need to.

One question: Is your gun new? If so, and you have not shot it yet, clean it first. Then go shoot. There could be machining particles and assembly grease that should be removed before you start using it, plus it's fun to break it down and learn how it operates. Also, gun grease also makes a good hand lube if you're single...(just kidding) :mrgreen:
"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, and render regular troops in a great measure unnecessary...and include, according to the past and general usuage of the states, all men capable of bearing arms..." Richard Henry Lee, Federal Farmer Letter #18, Jan 25, 1788

NRA, WCI, III
bsczar1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Number:#114  Postby BobbyGlock » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:55 pm

bsczar1 wrote:For me, it's after I have run it through break-in and have confidence it in, which depends on the gun. You can expect some failures to feed, failures to eject, and etc. during break-in. I'd say probably 100-200 rounds for a typical break-in period. Kahr Arms in general are machined with very tight tolerances, so Kahr actually says to run 200 rounds for typical break-in, and 500 before you even think about calling them. YMMV. After break-in you should have enough rounds through it to be satisfied you will not have any issues-it's a personal thing-then carry it. I have never, ever had a problem with my Sig Sauer P239-not one. My Kahr suffered FTF/FTE during break-in during the first 200 rounds, in fact I recorded it here on the site, but it has ran fine ever since. I alternate between carrying those two, but I would not hesitate to carry any of the handguns I own-though I do have one used gun I bought that I have only put 10 rounds through so far. It's a Springfield, so I'd carry it tonight if I felt the need to.

One question: Is your gun new? If so, and you have not shot it yet, clean it first. Then go shoot. There could be machining particles and assembly grease that should be removed before you start using it, plus it's fun to break it down and learn how it operates. Also, gun grease also makes a good hand lube if you're single...(just kidding) :mrgreen:

Nope. I have a Glock 19 and it has close to 2,000 rounds through it. I trust the gun but I was just wondering if there was a suggested amount of ammo to run through it before considering that ammo good to go for carry...
Random avatar
BobbyGlock
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#115  Postby madmatt1006 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:04 am

Hey all, Kinda new to the forum and I have enjoyed reading all the usefull info.
I've got a 1006 smith that I'm feeding the winchester 175gr silver tip hollow points. I am definately impressed with the 10mm, (chronographed at 1350). :twothumbsu:
As for my other carry gun a 3913 lady smith in 9mm that is currenly digesting winchester 147gr personal defense. I haven't had a chance to chronny this one yet, will update when i do)
"10mm; say no more"
madmatt1006

Post Number:#116  Postby Chris9472 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 pm

I carry either Federal Hydra-shok 90gr. .380acp (1000fps) JHP or something utilizing the Hornady XTP bullet from a decent manufacturer. Since I cannot get the actual Hornadys at the moment, I'm currently carrying Wilson Combat 90gr. XTP (1000fps) which utilizes this excellent bullet. Both the Hydra-shoks and XTP's have proven to me to have the best expansion and penetration using JHP's in that caliber.

However, since .380acp has become so hard to find as of late, I get anything I can, including a recent purchase of a box of Cor-Bon 90gr. (1050fps) JHP which I haven't got to try out yet.
Chris9472
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#117  Postby bandrich » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:03 am

Hornady in .380, 9mm and .40.
BA
Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP, etc.
bandrich
Plinker
Plinker

Post Number:#118  Postby Peter123 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:14 am

mine is a Glock G-30 in .45acp is highly recommended. It’s reliable, reasonably powerful, surprisingly accurate and very easy to shoots. Its very small structure can be easily fit into someone shirt without notice. But it is most known for its excellent out of the box precision, paired with the ballistic quality of this genuine big.
Random avatar
Peter123

Post Number:#119  Postby VetPsychWars » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:31 am

I use Federal HST in .45ACP. Feeds just like ball in my 1911s.

Tom
VetPsychWars
Sniper
Sniper

Post Number:#120  Postby RobertS » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:48 am

I use Hornady Critical Defense. I fired critical duty, which is the same stuff, but not rated to pass through certain barriers.

I may look into Gold Dots as well, since these are also highly rated.
Random avatar
RobertS
Sniper
Sniper

PreviousNext

Return to Concealed Carry