Rory Miller - Force Decisions: A Citizen's Guide

Discuss Training Reference Material

Post Number:#1  Postby TWW » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:35 am

My reading pile was getting low so decided to see if Miller had any new books out but did not find any. What I did find was a book I had already read and read it again. It covers training law enforcement people get and the world they live in. One of the most interesting comments in the book was about civilian review boards (they used to be a hot item when police were supposedly being bad to (at least to the mind of some people)). The review boards did not find misconduct much more often than internal affairs people did. That is because the people on the review boards had to be trained in the law and procedures so they could say if the police were doing something wrong. My guess is this book covers similar topics and was well worth the effort to read - partly to understand what is going on when the media reports about police shootings and also to get a better understanding about what using force is all about and the differences between the worlds law enforcement people live in and the rest of us.

You must also remember one of the fundamental truths about violence: Violence works. It is something that bad guys use to get what they want. When people look for the sources of violence or seek peace, this is the elephant in the room that everyone ignores. As long as violence works, some people will use it.

Miller, Rory (2012-04-01). Force Decisions: A Citizen's Guide (Kindle Locations 2155-2158). YMAA Publication Center. Kindle Edition.
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Advertisement

Advertisement

Return to Training Reference Material