Review of DVD 'Street Safe' with Marc Mac Young

Discuss Training Reference Material

Post Number:#1  Postby TWW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:18 pm

We all hear about being aware but what does that mean? Gut feeling is part of it so here is a story:

A week or so after I retired but had not yet moved to Wisconsin (long before CC existed in either WI or MN) my wife and I came home from shopping one afternoon. As I was moving bags to the house a guy came trotting up our one block street. He was not really running fast. He stopped and looked over his shoulder and then ran and walked a little. He saw me watching him and we had eye contact longer than you normally would with someone walking up the street. My gut feeling was something odd was going on but he was about 20 yards away so I did not feel afraid but his eyes had a look of fear or at least nervousness in them. He was wearing a warmup suit and tennis shoes so I assumed he was out running or at least that was the way I handled it since I had had diversity training and I did not want to think bad things about someone who happened to be African-American. A minute or two later the owner of the station at the end of our block came tearing up the street but since he was in his fire chief's car from the local volunteer fire department I assumed he had an emergency to go to. But then the gas station was filled with flashing lights. I had just seen the get away from an armed robbery and did not know it. My gut said something was odd. My desire not to think bad thoughts about someone because of racial issues plus not understanding the situation meant I did not realize what was going on.

If you join the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network you get a DVD with Young included. The Street Safe DVD covers much of the same subject as the ACLDN DVD but in a little more depth as I remember it. What the DVD does is show you a series of situations leading up to street crimes (but only crimes where people are out and about especially going to their cars but does not include workplace violence, school shootings home invasions and so on).

The steps in one of these crimes the video talks about are intent, interview, positioning, attack and reaction. Reading about them is far from reality but seeing actors enact the steps to an attack are (at least to me anyway) valuable to see. The crimes covered in the DVD are the most likely ones to happen to most of us so to me it was worth the price for the training.

One source to get it is Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Street-Safe-Marc-Mac-Young/dp/B000PY318O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365444299&sr=8-2&keywords=street+safe). It runs about $35. Now how long does it take to shoot up that much in ammunition nowadays?
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: Review of DVD 'Street Safe' with Marc Mac Young

Post Number:#2  Postby clockworkjon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Also read "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin de Becker. Talks at length about the power and inherent accuracy of intuition or "that gut feeling."
Yes, well, life is not all shoot-shoot, bang-bang, you know.
-Inspector Jacques Clouseau
clockworkjon
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Return to Training Reference Material