Read before you carry

Discuss Training Reference Material

Read before you carry

Post Number:#1  Postby TWW » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:08 am

If you are thinking about carrying or perhaps already do here are two training aids you might want to look over or even read. Both are available on Kindle where you can download a portion of the book and read it before buying.
Awareness of your environment means predicting what people around you will do. The book by Gavon de Becker who owns a company providing security to the stars among other people is called 'The Gift of Fear' while it is not inclusive it covers many situations like domestic abuse, stalking, sexual assaults, or assassinations. Here is a link to the Kindle and other versions at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/The-Gift-of-Fear-ebook/dp/B0036Z9U2A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364212131&sr=8-2&keywords=gift+of+fear It give one a better idea of what the problem is carrying a weapon is trying to solve.

A second and even better book is 'Gun Guys: A Road Trip' by Dan Baum who is was raised as an eastern liberal and still qualifies to be a liberal except he is also a gun guy. It is also available at Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Guys-Road-Trip-ebook/dp/B00985E64O/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1364212412&sr=1-1&keywords=gun+guy
Baum is a freelance writer who wanted to explore the role of guns in American culture. He did so by traveling to different states meeting people connected in some way with guns. I got interested in this book after reading an earlier post on this forum with a link to an article about liberal's disdain for people who own guns. In this context I think Baum would call the assault weapons ban the 'smashing of the idols of another religion' . Baum uses humor about himself to make the book interesting and does a pretty good job of showing what the debate is all about. He also threads his experience (both good and bad) with concealed carry and how it effected him through the book. That alone makes the book worth reading before you start carrying.
It never happens to anyone – until it does.
TWW
Weapon Master
Weapon Master

Read before you carry

Advertisement

Advertisement

Re: Read before you carry

Post Number:#2  Postby IceJester » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if I can't give it a look-see.

FWIW: I find carrying to be more of a chore than anything. There are just times where I prefer to be "off guard" or relaxed. (Ex: at the bar with my buddies where i cant carry anyway...) When I carry, I have a more heightened sense of what's going on as I have a weapon at my side.

Situational awareness is key I think, but it is also mentally taxing...
Random avatar
IceJester
Sniper
Sniper

Return to Training Reference Material